Dreamcast "Ghosting" Display problem

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Dreamcast "Ghosting" Display problem

Post#1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 am

Testing on another TV would tell you if it's a problem with the TV or the DC, especially if you can also try the composite and RF outputs to check whether the SCART adapter is broken.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:09 pm

nejmeg wrote:As I wrote I already tested it on another TV.

Oops, so you did. :oops:

nejmeg wrote:When you say composite and RF outputs, I suspect you're thinking about some other kind of cords right? All that I got in the package (unless I have thoughtlessly thrown or put it away) was the SCART cord. I have other cords for PS2, N64 etc with multi-AV but the connectors are different. Not sure where to look for other cables really.

You'd need to find a store either in your area or online that sells Dreamcast accessories (and ships them to Europe). The fact that it doesn't work on other TVs means the problem is definitely on the Dreamcast's side, but the fact that it's booting and showing the BIOS means that the DC itself still works. My money is on the SCART adapter being faulty, so you either need a new one or a different connector type. SCART is only available in Europe, so people in North (and South) America have no experience with the standard. I suppose the DC's GPU could also be defective, but I'd expect you to get no picture at all if that were the case.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Look, it's not gonna work so you might as well smash it into a few meaty sized pieces by smashing it against the nearest wall. They are only £20 on EBay so save yourself a lot of hassle.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:43 am

Maybe the SCART input on your newer TV is broken.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Well I was just trying to give you some friendly advice :mrgreen:

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Sorry if I offended you, it was on,my part, a failed attempt at humour.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#7 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:01 pm

The more I read that, the more I realise my tendency to put my foot in it is still there.

Aaaaaannnnny way, can I just say that ,a few years ago, I had a broken DC which refused to work properly. I swore at it profusely and, amazingly, after that it worked. True.