Jet Grind Radio

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.
Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: How much do you like the game?

2%
2%
No votes
No votes
2%
4%
4%
8%
19%
58%

Total votes: 48

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Jet Grind Radio

Post by Impulse »

I pulled this from the annals of my computer. This is very old. Oh well, I figured this section could use some more reviews. So here goes, forgive me for any ignorance, I hope to not disgrace this masterpiece.
Summary: This is the first thing I have to say about this game. If you don't like flashy cell shaded graphics and a underground hip-hop culture atmosphere then you won't like this game. The whole graffiti game idea is pretty unique, this game is probably by far the best of them.

Graphics: In my opinion the Cell shaded graphics are beautiful and look great on the Dreamcast. The bright colors and flashy effects compliment the game and fit well. The graphics are so good they resemble a game from a next gen. video game console.

Sound: The music in the game is cool. There are even some tracks from Rob Zombie and other well known artists/Djs along with a lot of Japanese artists/djs that I haven't heard of. The noises from the skates seem realistic. The jingles you get from completing various things such as spraying graffiti on a wall are neat sounding. The main playable characters don't have voices except for the Tokyo Underground Radio guy and the police. Every playable character has a little saying such as, Hey! or whats up? etc. Everything works out good, they have sub-titles.

Controls: The controls aren't bad. Controlling the characters movements with the Joystick does get a little bit frustrating and stopping the character in motion is a bit tough. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Spraying graffiti uses the analog stick by moving it in different directions such as up or down and a full rotation or half rotation of the joystick.

Gameplay: The objective of the game is to beat rival gangs in their territories and occasionally recruit new playable characters. You can also design your own graffiti. You could trade custom graffiti online but, that feature is no longer available becuase the website is gone.

Features:
-Unlock and Choose 10 different Playable Characters
-5 fully interactive cities with 16 challenging missions
-In-game graffiti design screen
-"Cartoon-Dimension art style" Graphics (Cell shaded)

Availability: This game is pretty common in most used game stores. It should be easy to find becuase the game was and still is popular. In Japan, a Drekore series was recently released. You may be able to get a new copy from an import game site such as http://play-asia.com A Drekore series release is a game that is re-released by popular demand in Japan.

THE Verdict

All and all this is a good, solid game that has replay value. I would buy it if you're looking for some fun gameplay and an interesting storyline. A bit crazy, but fun.
Rating:
9/10
-Impulse

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Re: Jet Grind Radio

Post by Bob Dobbs »

I played that game until I passed out one night...or was it day???
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

black flag nc
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None

Post by black flag nc »

Awesome! Nice review. I never could get into JGR.
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

Radkin
PSOaholic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Q3A, 4x4 & Maximum Pool

Post by Radkin »

Great review. I would like to see you do another one soon.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

i was never a big fan of JGR. nice review Impulse.

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

Thanks for the comments, guys. 8-)

As you can tell I really like the game but, it can get frustrating at times.
-Impulse

Mr-Seaman
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't play online anymore

Post by Mr-Seaman »

One of the biggest bad ass games with a awesome story,yet camera a bit poo

9/10
Mr-Seaman
The veteran of Dreamcast since 2003

TheCoolinator
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None, was thinking of Speed Devils Online but Sega pulled the plug before I had the Chance.

Post by TheCoolinator »

A masterpiece of a game that packs ours of fun.

My favorite part is searching for all the hidden graphiti throughout the maps in stunt mode.
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

TheCoolinator
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None, was thinking of Speed Devils Online but Sega pulled the plug before I had the Chance.

Post by TheCoolinator »

Love the avatar Shadow ^

Cool stuff.

Also since Jet Grind Radio doesn't have a difficulty setting you can always pick weaker characters to make the game more intense. I play as Mew a lot and get my ass handed to me on some levels that I usually breeze by using Cube or Karam.
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Barrys_Bapz
killer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Shenmue

Post by Barrys_Bapz »

Jet Grind Radio for me sums up Japan!

10 out of 10 Easily
THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS ENDS