Time for Sega to jump back into the hardware business?

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.
Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Re: Time for Sega to jump back into the hardware business?

Post by Gary_b »

though i would like to see a Sega and EA partnership. i think that EA would never team up with Sega. to much bad blood between them. EA lost a lot of money on Sega consoles such as the Saturn. for EA to make games for another Sega console is questionable in it self. but to develop exclusively on a Sega console?? to me that seems even more unrealistic than Sega going it alone.

as for Apple and Sega. Apple is not well known for games. but they have huge name recognition with a younger crowd with Iproducts and Macs. also they have some cash to put into releasing a new console. and i would think that Apple might want to compete with MS on the gaming front. developers are already praising the Iphone for its ease of development. so other developers like EA might be willing to work with a joint Apple and Sega machine.

to see a Sega, Apple and EA partnership would be sweet. i don't think it would be to long before they hit the number 1 spot.

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

Bryan, I think the need for speed games are completely milked for their worth. I hope they don't bother releasing another one. Thats just my opinion.

Gary, that's a very good point about EA and Sega having bad blood. Although i'm sure the upper management has changed since then and they should be able to overcome any past hardships if there is wealth involved in a partnership.

I never thought about Apple vs. Microsoft in the console gaming market. Perfect! They battle it out in the computer market so why not get into the console battle. How could I forget the Ipods, etc. That could bring huge support and think of the endless possibilities. The itunes could be incorporated into the console and could have a dock add on or be built in.

While this sounds good to us, Sega most likely has no plans to get into hardware anytime soon, let alone partner with EA, Apple or anyone else. Remember they are with Sammy. A trio would be unlikely.
You don't see much of the two... do you.
-Impulse

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

Gary_b wrote:
as for Apple and Sega. Apple is not well known for games. but they have huge name recognition with a younger crowd with Iproducts and Macs. also they have some cash to put into releasing a new console.
all of that & don't forget that Mac also got their hardware knowhow, they've always made excellent machines so far.

I'm seeing something like a macbook that is at the same time a console that can be plugged in your tv 8-) 8-)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post by Gary_b »

SegApple comic
Attachments
SegApple comic
SegApple comic
Apple spoof.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 7401 times

TheCoolinator
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None, was thinking of Speed Devils Online but Sega pulled the plug before I had the Chance.

Post by TheCoolinator »

Yea, that guy Don Resinger has already wrote and made a few videos directed to the success and innovation of the DC. With that "Sega should go back to Hardware" article / broadcast he really turned some heads. I mean it seems like a fair idea but the problem is that the economy is horrible and Sega really hasn't been concentrating on anything other then their dead corpse of a mascot and some crappy super hero games that have all been thrown into the bargain bin. I think they should wait until the market goes back up then combine with another company and see what they can make. Hopefully apple.
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

I think the time is right for sega to come back, I've been looking up a lot lately & scourging blogs & forums & I was amazed at how many people are litterally asking for a new sega console. Also, if they want to stay a software company (as they claim), then why have they still a hardware research devision?
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Post by Bob Dobbs »

Wow, I did not know that they still have one (hardware development)? There is one thing I'd like to know...Did any of the early post-Dreamcast games they made have a Dreamcast beginning before the evil Gamcube, Playstation, PC or Xbox distribution?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

Coolinator, how did you find out they have a hardware research division?

Dobbs i'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. Are you asking what games they started on dc and then made sequels or ports to those consoles?
Crazy Taxi, PSO sega gt, shenmue, etc... this list is huge.
-Impulse

Pandoronium
shadow

Post by Pandoronium »

Honestly, I think Sega would have too much to lose by developing new hardware. I really wish it would happen, but financially I don't think the company would risk losing yet another game console if sales didn't meet expectations. The current giants (Nintendo, MS, Sony) are having a hard enough time with console sales as compared to software sales. I think Sega retreated into a software-only domain to minimize their losses. Although, I must say even at that they're not doing very well, the new Sonic game got terrible reviews. It's just a matter of time until they bounce back, but I think they need to really develop some awesome software once again (like the good old days) before they focus on developing a new console.

This doesn't mean they shouldn't do SOMETHING for the DC's 10th anniversary this year though!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post by Gary_b »

Sega is putting out all this shovelware because they are saving the real gems for their own hardware ;) ok maybe not but hey i can hope.