Console Failure Rates (by eBay)

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Console Failure Rates (by eBay)

Post by pcwzrd13 »

So I was browsing eBay today and decided to see what percentage of used consoles for sale on eBay are broken. Here is the percentage of broken consoles for sale by system (rounded off to the nearest percent):

Xbox 360: 46%
Playstation 3: 35%
Xbox: 25%
Playstation: 17%
Dreamcast: 15%
Saturn: 14%
Genesis: 14%
Playstation 2: 13%
Gamecube: 11%
Nintendo Wii: 8%
NES: 8%
Super Nintendo: 7%
Nintendo 64: 4%

These statistics seem pretty spot on as far as I can tell. You gotta give the Big N some credit! They know how to make a reliable console!
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Re: Console Failure Rates (by eBay)

Post by brourke228 »

I'm surprised NES isn't higher up. The cartridge slots are always failing on front-loader version.
Regards,
brourke228

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

brourke228 wrote:I'm surprised NES isn't higher up. The cartridge slots are always failing on front-loader version.
I still have my original front-loading NES and it works perfectly. Although I did have the cartridge slot replaced about 10 years ago. It still worked before that but it would require a lot of cartridge blowing! :lol: I never tried cleaning it though so it's possible that it was just dirty.
PSO Characters:

Vampyre Mike
Roadster
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake III.

Post by Vampyre Mike »

Considering (and according to Adam Koralik) that the Dreamcast took a step down in quality from the Saturn, the difference in busted consoles seems negligible. But also, the Saturn has had a longer time to break at this point. So maybe not. :lol:

rooster
photon blast

Post by rooster »

It's amazing how neatly ordered the systems are, not by generation/age, but by company: Microsoft is the most failure-prone, then Sony, then Sega, then Nintendo. Although part of what sets PS360 at the top would be that many people would still buy one of those current-gen systems in spite of some problem, while maybe 3 or 4 people on the planet would want to buy a broken N64.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

rooster wrote:It's amazing how neatly ordered the systems are, not by generation/age, but by company: Microsoft is the most failure-prone, then Sony, then Sega, then Nintendo.
Yeah I know! It's obvious that this isn't a very good way of getting accurate failure rates but I'd say this list came out pretty darn accurate! Ask anyone to rank consoles in terms of reliability and it would probably be very close to this!
PSO Characters:

FightingVipers
BFG-10K

Post by FightingVipers »

Considering the oldest Saturns are 19 now they are not doing bad at all if thats the failure rate.
Microsoft doesnt suprise me, the early 360s where junk, although mine has never given me an issue and its an early one.
The first gen XBOX its main problem is the dvd drive they are prone to failure,otherwise its pretty solid, i have 2 one is perfect otherone doesnt always read gamediscs.

everynewday84
Nemesis
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake 3

Post by everynewday84 »

Could it be that those older systems tend to get tossed when they bite it? Huh huh? ;)