Mac-Dc server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
TeamXlink
Rank 9

Re: Mac-Dc server

Post by TeamXlink »

Thats expensive.

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

You get what you pay for. Its headless. No other way to do it I see. The only other way to do it is to use VNC as remote access but that's not headless.
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

Favrenation wrote:You get what you pay for. Its headless. No other way to do it I see. The only other way to do it is to use VNC as remote access but that's not headless.
I could get a BBA for less , and that wouldn't even require the Pc-DC Server

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

I know but with that you can play more games.
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

soul21 wrote:Don't know what you're talking about, Headless? or how to do so lol. I never got too far into networking its such a pain. anyway..

So far I have always hated windows but its what I know lol, and I have gotten to despise linux just as much.

Here is how easy this should be...

Open a hyperterminal to the modem, dial in with the dreamcast, Tell the PC modem to answer the line "ATA", have it connect. Then have it routed to the internet connection. Thats how easy it should be on windows or linux.

Thats how easy it is on mac.

1. Download that small script called CU. When run in a terminal, turns it into a terminal for the modem to enter AT commands.
2. Dial in with the dreamcast and enter ATA on the mac to answer the line and have it CONNECT.
3. Then tell a second terminal window on the mac to take over the device with PPPD and assign it an IP And route to the internet.

DONE.
A headless server running without any user interaction, or a monitor or other things.

It just runs and does its job automatically.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post by Favrenation »

Yeah that's the Iolan adapter. But it's expensive.
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

Favrenation wrote:Yeah that's the Iolan adapter. But it's expensive.
I think it is possible it set it up in Linux to do it automatically, because you don't have to start the connection on the DreamCast first.

You would have the connection always on and when it detects a signal run the kill command, that is the tricky part for me.

brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Post by brourke228 »

TeamXlink wrote:
I think it is possible it set it up in Linux to do it automatically, because you don't have to start the connection on the DreamCast first.

You would have the connection always on and when it detects a signal run the kill command, that is the tricky part for me.
That would be great if someone figured out a way to have the connection initiate automatically without having to sync it up. If it was as easy as hitting the dial button on DC then it would really make the PC-DC just as viable as the BBA in my opinion. Maybe ryochan would know something about this.
Regards,
brourke228

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

brourke228 wrote:
TeamXlink wrote:

That would be great if someone figured out a way to have the connection initiate automatically without having to sync it up. If it was as easy as hitting the dial button on DC then it would really make the PC-DC just as viable as the BBA in my opinion. Maybe ryochan would know something about this.
Yeah, if you are already getting a good connection.

I will look into it some more, on windows you had to dial on the dreamcast then open up the monitor on the pc, that was what prevented it from being automatic, it should be mush easier now.

I don't get a good connection on most servers though.

I will google it.
EDIT: I forgot what topic I was replying too at the end of the post, and it turns out it was the wrong topic.