SOVIETBORGS by Retro Sumus (Xenocider devs)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: SOVIETBORGS by Retro Sumus (Xenocider devs)

Post by fafadou »

I must confess i expected a 3d game too.
We'll see.

hombreimaginario
Developer

Post by hombreimaginario »

Ian Micheal wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:11 pm
I do understand how much work it takes not wanting to do 8 years again.. but it would be good to re use the work you did with your engine .. Strange was the story hitting close to home these days lol.. Kos and tool chain has had major upgrade since then there on gcc14 gldc is much better and there is new tools and speed in kos there never was and memory fixes to both pvr video and the driver and many things should take a look :)

How you even got the last game to work when there was a massive bug in kos the timer was broken the pvr memory was wrong and leaked and you still got a game working with it lmao..Also the sh4 math and fpu was not working correct.. So pretty amazing with that tool chain you got anything to work..

Well looking forward to more info and a demo in the future thanks..
Man I hope you don't get me wrong but, uh... English not being my mother tongue, I have a hard time understanding you sometimes :lol: I follow you on as many social media platforms I can and am a fan of your work, but please, you need to use punctuation marks from time to time :lol:

Now seriously :) Thank you, I'll pass your words on to the team, particularly Chui!
fafadou wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:58 pm I must confess i expected a 3d game too.
We'll see.
Sorry to disappoint.
When we got together, as a team I mean, we put a number of ideas on the table (or is it on the wall? We would say "on the table" in Spanish anyway). Xenocider was a bit more feasible at the time, but 2 of the other ideas were not 3D. This is one. The other was Ameba... which by the way, over the years evolved into something else and, if things go remotely well, will be our next, uh, next project after this one.

We really don't want to get stuck to a particular genre or style. Our main goal was and still is to tackle genres or game mechanics we feel were not explored enough in its time. There's always been a huge chance we absolutely suck at it, but hey, we do this in our free time :mrgreen:

hombreimaginario
Developer

Jenkins
MicroMidget
Dreamcast Games you play Online: every still remaining

Post by Jenkins »

Another 3D game would be awesome but as long as the gameplay is fun, a 2D game with wonderful looking pixelated sprites are equally appealing. Like Intrepid Izzy, Factorio, classic C&C, RRRR for DC... or maybe something like Blasphemous.

But will Sovietborgs be a "Mega Drive first" game and later ported to DC? Maybe a "Definitve edition" on DC with high res sprites?

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post by Ryo_Hazuki »

En juegos 2D, siempre puedes usar efectos de escala en los sprites. Eso siempre hace las cosas más interesantes.

hombreimaginario
Developer

Jenkins wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:53 am Another 3D game would be awesome but as long as the gameplay is fun, a 2D game with wonderful looking pixelated sprites are equally appealing. Like Intrepid Izzy, Factorio, classic C&C, RRRR for DC... or maybe something like Blasphemous.

But will Sovietborgs be a "Mega Drive first" game and later ported to DC? Maybe a "Definitve edition" on DC with high res sprites?
Yeah well, we don't want to stick to one thing. Our next project after this one will most likely be an adventure game / visual novel, at last. But we're open to anything.

Mega Drive and Dreamcast versions will be developed side by side. DC version will feature more colours and a better soundtrack and probably some voice over here and there. If things go well we may consider higher res.

Besides, if things (in other words, a Kickstarter campaign probably coming) go well, we want to bting the game to more retro systems.
Ryo_Hazuki wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:13 am En juegos 2D, siempre puedes usar efectos de escala en los sprites. Eso siempre hace las cosas más interesantes.
No estoy seguro de entender a qué te refieres. Sobe todo teniendo en cuenta que Mega Drive teóricamente no puede hacer escalados :P