Samba De Amigo with controller?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.
Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Chris7
blackout!

Samba De Amigo with controller?

Post by Chris7 »

Has anyone played Samba De Amigo with the controller? I'm curious to know how it is.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Samba De Amigo with controller?

Post by mazonemayu »

fun as hel, specially if you're drunk ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

It's very fun. You'll also find that it gives you a decent arm workout if you try to maximize those rapid shake sequences.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

MrAlextov
MegaDeath
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Post by MrAlextov »

I Can't imagine well how I would play Samba de Amigo.
Just started Java Programming Learning...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:You'll also find that it gives you a decent arm workout if you try to maximize those rapid shake sequences.
I believe he's inquiring about playing it with the standard Dreamcast controller.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

Haha. I guess I didn't interpret that right :P

To answer the original question:

The game is still fun with the controller, but is actually easier to play that way diminishing some of the challenge.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post by Dreamcastgaga »

I played, well tried to, Dance Dance Revolution on the DC with the controller today, absolutely no chance. Really nice tunes though.

Samba is much better, its manageable with the controller although obviously it doesn't compare to playing it with the maracas.

kallen
shadow

Post by kallen »

I just started playing and it is still fun with the Dreamcast controller (i.e. joypad). However, I think you lose some points because you can't do the poses without maracas during the songs.

kallen
shadow

Post by kallen »

I want to correct my last post. You can do the poses without the maracas. You just need to press the correct button combinations when prompted. It is actually not hard with the the right controller setting.

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm going to be honest with you...

How is Samba with just the controller and not the maracas? Some people say the controls are a little difficult, but I actually think the game is still so goddamn fun that my best friend and I played for multiple years all ONLY using the controller before we EVER got a pair of actual maracas.

Actually, we got so damn good with the controllers that we were able to get "perfect" scores on several songs on the secret "Super Hard Mode." It was to the point that I would sometimes swap from the maracas to the controller when I was playing competitively, just because they were more accurate.

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with the maracas' accuracy; however, when you're playing at that level, on Super Hard Mode, and you're flinging the damn things everywhere, the sensors have a tendency to not stay pointing down, so sometimes you can miss notes... This is not the case when you get good with the controller...
Last edited by Falco Girgis on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.