The Sonic Adventure Thread

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.
Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Van Halbgott
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
Sonic Adventure (technically)
Quake III Arena
Chu Chu Rocket

The Sonic Adventure Thread

Post by Van Halbgott »

Here’s a thread where everyone who plays Sonic Adventure gets to post here about it!

I’ll post that I played as Knuckles the Echidna last time so I could go searching for Chaos Emerald shards.

I already beat the game though.

MastaG
BFG-10K

Re: The Sonic Adventure Thread

Post by MastaG »

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 both have a special place in my heart.
Together with some other games like Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, JSR and a couple of others showed what the DC was capable of.
Because if I'm real with myself... then 9 out of 10 games really sucked graphically and were mostly shitty ports from the ps1 and n64 with better texture filtering and a slightly higher resolution.
If Sega kept EA as friend and listened to the American ceo (forgot his name) to include physical storage (a crappy 4 or 8GB hdd), then game developers could actually cache/preload data for faster loading compared to shitty disc read times.
Perhaps then we would have had some better games.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Quake III Arena
Racing Simulation 2
Worms World Party

Post by OlivusPrime »

I have some fondness for the original Sonic Adventure, even though it's far, far from a perfect game. The visuals are so bright and inviting, the spirit of the older Sonic games is still present to some extent, and the whole thing has that new millenium energy and optimism that makes so many Dreamcast games pleasant to return to today. I only tend to enjoy playing as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (and to some extent Gamma), but at the very least you can see 90% of the story without having to play as every character (not that the story is the game's strong suit...).

Sonic Adventure 2 though, was where the series really began its downfall for me. The story attempts to be edgier than before and the visual designs seem to have had an extra layer of unneeded detail added to them, completely losing sight of the simplicity that made the earlier games so much cartoony fun. The Shadow/Maria plotline in particular is just laughable. Rouge might also be my least favourite Sonic character design too - was it really necessary to put a pair of honkers on one of these characters?! The Tails/Eggman levels are a complete drag and you have to do them if you want to get anywhere in the game.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post by Ryo_Hazuki »

I have the original disc that came in my Dreamcast box, but for some reason it is not showing an image in the VGA video output, a black screen and the sound. I'm playing for Redrem, I'm playing with the fat cat on the beach stage. The first game is much better than the second, as it has more open scenarios and more freedom.

Dirge Of Ram
Prince of Persia
Dreamcast Games you play Online: No GGPO Fightcade For Me.

Post by Dirge Of Ram »

Cut Content. Yes SA1 was a launch title as we all know just Sega once again cutting out the real goods. Same deal applies with SA2 of course.

I didn't bother much with the GameCube ports, especially what Battle did to Big The Cat! I do recall what Sega did to the Chao Garden when Heroes came along saying didn't fit the Tone what they were trying to do Today...when the 4Kids cast took on over that was that for me with anything Sonic post 2005.

Couldn't stand that censored Sonic X on TV at all. Then came 4Kids & Sega terminating the original SA Cast voice cast! Ryan Drummond even tried to meet with 4Kids demands to keep on voicing Sonic but nah Screw You we got our own dull inhouse cast to think about. Had Duke Nukem himself voicing Big The Cat crying out loud. David Humphrey turned up to voice Shadow for his own game then only to be shown the Exit Door!

Sega in all their post Dreamcast glory wisdom just tossed out the Adventure cast like Hot Trash. Your All Out, Sega just not going to tell too your faces! When Deem Bristow died outside that nightclub knew the end was near for classic Sonic!

Dr. Robotnik, always will be.