Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Re: SaturnPi

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

My saturn is modded as well. To play netlink backups, the only practical method without a modchip is the swap trick. The netlink modem has to be inserted when the game boots or it won't switch over to netlink mode.

A cartridge with PC connectivity that can act as an official memory card would be super useful for exchanging ghost files for the racing games, but as far as I know none of those 3rd party cartridges allow games to save directly to them.

edit: looks like the "Gamer's cartridge" attempts to do that: http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/#gamers
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso, 4x4, max pool, planet ring, afo, chu chu.... all of them

Post by itsthinkingstill »

yeah me too, that's why iv never tried it, dont know if the saturn will read a cart when its swapped while power is on. my guess is not unless you got the timing right

cyrix
shadow

Post by cyrix »

Just wanted to say I am eagerly awaiting updates on this thread. Would be really cool if this eventually works out. Would love to get involved but my Saturn is in another state :\

hawkzer0
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them :D

Post by hawkzer0 »

i can confirm that the netlink will work with psuedo saturn. just swap the AR cart out with the netlink after it starts counting down. woo!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:My saturn is modded as well. To play netlink backups, the only practical method without a modchip is the swap trick. The netlink modem has to be inserted when the game boots or it won't switch over to netlink mode.

A cartridge with PC connectivity that can act as an official memory card would be super useful for exchanging ghost files for the racing games, but as far as I know none of those 3rd party cartridges allow games to save directly to them.

edit: looks like the "Gamer's cartridge" attempts to do that: http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/#gamers
Got my VOIP adapter in and im ready for testing. I didnt manage to find a phone but I propose i could just dial you via my saturn to see if your voip phone rings as a test. Ill need instructions on how to set this up though

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

I'll post some screenshots of the config pages in a little bit here. In the meantime you'll have to decide on an IP address to give the adapter and forward port 5060 UDP to that address.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

Ok done. Ive got to run some errands so ill be back later on and ill implement your instructions

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

The following pictures show how mine is setup. Log in to the device from a web browser (enter its IP address). By default it uses DHCP so it'll get assigned an address automatically. If you have a phone, there's a number you can dial to have it read off the IP address, but without a phone you'll have to figure it out some other way. Once connected, click "admin login" in the top right corner and then "advanced." Most of the settings are default, just verify that they look like mine.

This is where you assign the IP address. Add your gateway IP as well. You'll have to power cycle the device after applying the settings for it to reassign itself.

Not all tabs need to be configured, just the following:

I'll send you a PM with my IP address. I won't be able to do any testing tonight, but I'll hook my adapter up to my dial-in server. You should be able to connect to it and surf the internet. The username is: dream and password is: dreamcast

Set your saturn to dial my IP with *99,[IP Address]#
So, if you want to dial, say 127.0.0.1, you would dial *99,127*0*0*1#
If the Saturn doesn't let you enter a comma, it may not be necessary (I can't remember if the Saturn allows you to dial them or not)

Let me know if it works!
Last edited by SEGA RPG FAN on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena

Post by -drez01- »

I suggest you turn the network jitter level to low to avoid unnecessary latency. Reduces local ping time by roughly 200 milliseconds.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

-drez01- wrote:I suggest you turn the network jitter level to low to avoid unnecessary latency. Reduces local ping time by roughly 200 milliseconds.
You're right, the jitter level will probably have to be played with. For the netlink at least, we'll have to find a balance. Too low of a buffer could lead to synchronization issues.