Ouya - New Console!

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Outrunner
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phtansy Star Online

Ouya - New Console!

Post by Outrunner »

I've searched on te forums for this and the search result was empty, so I hope its not posted somewhere else...
But have you checked this out?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console
Why didn't SEGA think about this? >.<

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Ouya - New Console!

Post by mazonemayu »

I read about it last week, but I didn't know it was already this far. I wonder at what ammount the kickstarter is gonna stop, seems there's quite a demand for such a product
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

elmagicochrisg
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None for the moment I'm afraid... lol

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Outrunner wrote:Why didn't SEGA think about this? >.<
Shenmue III Kickstarter?...

Sega Phoenix* console kickstarter?...

*Thing's gotta have a name right?... :P
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I wish them luck but I highly doubt this system will have much success. The many pros they tout with this console are also cons.

Open and Hackable: Being an open and hackable system means there is no protection against piracy whatsoever. If someone doesn't want to pay for a game then they don't have to. This will obviously be a big strike against the system for potential developers.

No Licencing Fees: The second thing is the lack of licencing fees. This is obviously great for the developer but not so great for the console manufacturer. This is where company's like Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft make most of their profits aside from first-party games. They hardly ever make much money off the system itself. So once Ouya runs out of money, what then? They won't be able to support the system anymore.

Power: Compared to current gen consoles, it is grossly under-powered. Obviously graphics aren't everything but a lot of consumers DO put graphics ahead of gameplay. This is an unfortunate truth about the gaming market today. This will situation certainly won't improve once the next generation of consoles is released, which shouldn't be too far from now.

Storage: The final issue is the very small amount of storage space on the console, 8GB. This is an all digital console so the amount of storage space is very important. Some Android games can reach over 2GB! This would mean you could only fit 4 games on the console. This could very well be a major issue. The specifications for the console do not mention anything about being able to expand the storage. A small addition like an SD card slot could easily remedy this situation.

All in all this console faces a boat load of problems. I personally don't think it will gain much traction but then again I could be wrong.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Outrunner
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phtansy Star Online

Post by Outrunner »

elmagicochrisg wrote:
Outrunner wrote:Why didn't SEGA think about this? >.<
Shenmue III Kickstarter?...

Sega Phoenix* console kickstarter?...

*Thing's gotta have a name right?... :P
Sir, I meant building a system like that...

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Outrunner wrote:Sir, I meant building a system like that...
My bad...

I guess pcwzrd13 gave you a few good reasons.

Still, Shenmue III kickstarter. Put our money where our mouth is, show SEGA how badly we really want Shenmue III, and give them reassurance they won't lose money on the project...

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post by elmagicochrisg »

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

how can "the system doesn't exist yet" be a reason to be sceptical?? remember the PS2 announcement on DC launch day? sony didn't even have anything on paper yet ;) ;) ;)

I totally agree it won't be able compete with the current 3, however I think it would be a dream for the indie dev scene & emulators
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

nnorton44
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSOv2

Post by nnorton44 »

When comparing it to current gen consoles, yes it may seem underpowered. But remember this is supposed to be a sub-$100 console.

They are trying to come in at a lower price point and challenge the existing pricing model for TV-based games. For under $100 this box will be a steal, including a quad-core ARM Cortex A9 processor, a Nvidia Tegra 3 graphics processing unit, 8GB of Flash memory, 1GB RAM, and Bluetooth connectivity. I wouldn't call Tegra 3 grossly underpowered, definately looks to give atleast the Wii a run for its money.

Sonic on Tegra 3:

I for one hope it succeeds. Because it is open source it should not take long to make it to market, they just gotta slap a SoC into a case and design the controller. Tegra 3 also has game controller support for PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, Logitech, and more, so they could also go that route.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

Post by PhiseJr »

Every console that comes out faces, ridicule and negativity. Xbox got a dose of theirs but they are still around. And the company makes 30% off of the games the game content thats being sold. Open Source console is different Yes. And the console has more Ram than the Current Generation and its the size of a tennis ball almost. PS3/360 are like small computers. I think the OUYA might surprise a lot of people. Besides They are working with NVIDIA to get the most of out the Tegra 3 Quad Core. I dont even think the Current Generations have Quad Core either.

The Piracy issue is that the console requires online connection and authentication for games to be used. I dont know how full proof it is but they are aware of piracy and are acknowledging the issues.

IMO Its Stronger than the DC..... And its open Source... Just like the DC :-D Fine By me

The every game review/news says the samething, doesn't exist, but Kotaku had an interview with the Lead and answers all the questions.

Even responded to the FAIL OpenPandora creators comments and shuts him down completely lol .

And its updated that there's an exclusive coming out a prequel to "Human Element"

Plus everyone thinks its gonna be angry birds and crap on your TV. Developers aren't going to create Little mobile games like that for a console they most likely will develop a Console Style android Game.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto