console reviews coming soon on my channel... thoughts etc?

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

console reviews coming soon on my channel... thoughts etc?

Post by DCUltrapro »

Hey gang,

So I thought I'd start making a series of videos regarding the consoles I own, and I'd like to share my thoughts/opinions on how I will do it but also wanted to give an open forum for you all to give me your suggestions on format and the general idea itself, I'm very interested to hear your thoughts!

I have thought a little and would be interested in coming up with a fresh and interesting way to review a console, give my opinion from 2 different perspectives and quickly show my favourite games for each. either by actually physically holding the case, talking about its good and bad points or showing some footage, maybe even both?

I'll also mention any peripherals briefly that I am personally aware of and have owned and will generally give people a nice overview of each machine

at the end of each review I will give 2 scores, 1 which is my personal opinion of the machine which will be scored out of 10, I'll give a quick summary about why I like it or hate it etc.

and I will give another score which will be something like viability, where I basically rate it as unbiasedly as I can based on things such as design, market impact, ease of use, game library etc, and general vision and execution. so basically I will try to give two different aspects/summaries to each review.

Its not going to be particularly high production or anything, probably just me holding the console, talking about it, showing the console etc. The reason I would rather do it that way is because I don't want them to look like Adam Koralik videos where you only see my hands and I put stuff in front of the camera, for 2 reasons, 1, I don't want to copy him his vids are great and I don't want to steal his format etc, 2nd, I don't have a steady cam or something that I can use to keep the camera in place in such a way that I could actually do the vids this way.

But I will try to minimise the chatter from my side as I know that just someone talking can be fairly boring and I don't want that lol. They need to be fairly short, snappy and to the point so if anyone has ideas on format I'd be most grateful!

let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions/reccommendations etc I'm open to anything you guys would like to throw my way!

The consoles I will review will probably be:

Master System
Game Gear
Atari Lynx
Mega Drive
Mega CD
32x
Atari Jaguar
Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
GameCube
Wii

I'd like to keep them in order of oldest to newest just because the older ones will give me more pleasure and I may run out of time/patience by the end and don't mind missing off the Nintendos, Sonys and Microsofts etc lol

anyway I look forward to hearing what you guys think!!
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Re: console reviews coming soon on my channel... thoughts et

Post by DCUltrapro »

wow, that went down like a lead ballon then! lol

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

GAME GEAR! GAME GEAR! GAME GEAR! :D How about a video where you talk about a few of your favorite Game Gear games? I just finished playing Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya and I need some new game suggestions.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

I honestly don't have many Game Gear games anymore, its mostly Sonic titles. I used to like Ren And Stimpy and the Shaven Yak, and Fantastic Dizzy but I can't find the latter anywhere!! I much prefer the Lynx if I'm honest lol, sorry! The lynx has some epic games.

I do really like Outrun on GG though, and G-Loc

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Alright, how about a Lynx review then? I never owned one but maybe you could convince me to get one.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

I shall certainly try! How about some comments/suggestions on format and the general approach guys? I wanna try and make it a little fresh

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

Don't know if you remember this Ultra, but a few years ago I walked into Game and there was a huge stack(hundreds) of Lynx and Jaguar consoles for sale. They were brand new in their boxes and cost £9.99 and £19.99 respectively. All accompanied by large adverts around the shop - it was almost like a new console launch. I've no idea why they were selling them in the mid-noughties (maybe a job lot was found in a warehouse ?). Anyway, it was surprising how quick they sold out. I went in a few weeks later and the whole lot was gone.

So it looked to me that, when the price is right, even the general public will buy 'dead' consoles.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

definitely man I was there at Game in Lakeside and thats where I picked my Jaguar up again for like £19 with a couple games and some Lynx games too, it was fuckin awesome to just see it all on the shelves BRAND NEW.... I walked out with a lot less money than I went in with lol. Cos I sold my Jaguar originally around 97/98 to buy Saturn and PS1 games lol

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

Well, if I'd have known you back then I would probably have bought one or both of them. But at the time I really didn't know anything about them. Could kick myself tbh.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

did you not? lol, fair enough, as it is I only bought one cos we wanted to play tempest 2000 again, we didn't know anything about the system at the time. Had I known how mediocre... and yet! loveable it turned out to be I would never have sold mine lol