Seeking Advice Regarding Noisy PicoPSU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Infomaniac95
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!

The Next Tetris: Online Edition

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Seeking Advice Regarding Noisy PicoPSU

Post by Infomaniac95 »

Hello again,

I need some help, regarding a PicoPSU I ordered.

I ordered this PSU, seen here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast ... 3870956542

As it doesn't come with a power supply, I ordered the one mentioned in the listing description: https://www.amazon.com/SHNITPWR-Convert ... 6FPN9?th=1

However, having it installed now, my screen now has interference running up and down on it, that was not there before.

Reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems I am not the only one with such issues:

Now I have to wonder, does anyone know of a power supply that is good for the PicoPSU, and wont cause interference, and can I safely use the Dreamcast in the mean time, while I wait for a different PSU?

No1Dopechampion
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
POD
monaco (maybe) and keen to try other stuff

Re: Seeking Advice Regarding Noisy PicoPSU

Post by No1Dopechampion »

It is hard to know what power supply to buy, I bought what I thought was a quality product but it has same interference issue. The only reason I haven't looked into it further is because I have DCHDMI/DCDigital and it is unaffected.

Infomaniac95
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!

The Next Tetris: Online Edition

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Post by Infomaniac95 »

No1Dopechampion wrote:It is hard to know what power supply to buy, I bought what I thought was a quality product but it has same interference issue. The only reason I haven't looked into it further is because I have DCHDMI/DCDigital and it is unaffected.
Guess the issue just affects analog solutions. It would be nice to have a Digital solution, but those are rather pricey, and im not exactly good with soldering, so that option is out of reach, for me.

I found the PSU that was recommended for the DreamPSU back when what was still a thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019SX6VIE

Would that be enough to power a PicoPSU, GDEMU, and Noctua Fan, without issue?

WedgeStratos
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: From AFO to WebTV

Post by WedgeStratos »

The DreamPSU is a pico PSU - you don't use it in tandem. You use either a pico or a Dream, not both. Interference actually has little to do with the PSU itself - it comes more from the adapter you use. You do not want to cheap out on the external power brick. I had severe interference using 12V2A adapters, both low and high quality (one came from a crappy Craig LCD TV I have, the other from an external hard drive). You absolutely want to get a 12V3A adapter, avoid anything less.

I personally have been using this one from a company called Chanzon without any problems, with both a full GD-ROM drive and the GDemu, all over a VGA connection. I also made sure that my Dreamcast is on a separate power strip away from other ones. I can also fully suggest buying a filtered power strip / power conditioner. Anything that specifically markets having EMI/RFI noise attenuation. That's actually something you should do anyway for most electronics.