Recent Spam

Website Updates and Support for Dc Talk will be posted here.
Also post your feedback and suggestions for the site.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Re: Recent Spam

Post by madmax2069 »

Vasiliy wrote:
I think the admin need to consider on selecting a few trusted members for a anti spambot squad to delete spam posts
People wont be deleting spam all time, we are humans, they are machines. DC-Talk always suffered of spam, just take a look at archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/200805020347 ... m.php?f=28 and it's still the same situation here. http://dreamcast-talk definitely needs strong combined spam protection. As far as i know all captchas can bypassed, there is installed Q&A protection now but it's bypassed as you can see by yourself, ip banning is useless...
From what i have seen there seems to be a shortage of people here that can take care of deleting these spam posts. the more people you have in different regions the better it will work.

captchas can work if new methods are rotated in constantly. if you keep using the same old method it will get leaned and bypassed easily. the word and letter & number captchas are the old way of doing it and are not effective. there needs to be a captcha that uses other methods then the ones we currently see on most sites (youtube comment limit captcha as a prime example). They worked great at first but their constant use made it to where algorithms was made to defeat these type of captchas.

Use this as a example.
a captcha that uses a combination of a word, letter, numeral, shape, color, simple outlines of pictures to where you have to type out the shape, color, picture outline (as say of a outline of a bird, car, tree or other outline). They keep using the same old method for captchas with slightly a change to them, and its kind of like trying to polish a turd, in the end its still a turd. a new method of captcha is severely needed.

Yeah there is a Q&A for the registration here but it is very weak, its not as strong as the Q&A method of using the TOS word search or a history (and so forth) question.

There is different forms of banning, IP banning is the easiest to bypass.

Script detection is a good way to stop the registration process, if detected you get sent to a blank page. a false registration page hidden from normal users but seen from the bot is another good method because they will fill this form out and when its filled out you will know it was a bot, or a false question that the normal user cant see.

banning by email used for registration is one method of banning, at first it wont work too well until you build up a list of used emails of blacklisted email addresses. and when one gets through just add that email to the list.

The other method of spam protection (probably best right now) that is known to work is one where the admin has to approve the account. once approved the user receives a email to follow a link to enable the account. some sort of email use on the registering user needs to be done to see that the email is real.

with all of the above combined there should be ample protection against spambots. but still wont protect against the human element.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

Well I hope something can be done soon coz this is getting silly. Trying to navigate the site is giving me a fuck off headache !

Dreamcast sites get only a few visitors these days and situations like this will put many people off coming here - maybe for good.

Or am I exaggerating :?

Aw sod it, I'm off to the pub for lasties.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post by madmax2069 »

The way it seems that there is a human hand at these latest ones, as soon as you get rid of one there is a new one to take its place. a human registers the account then sets the bot free on the forum, it seems like to me you guys need to disable automatic registration and go manual.

It seems like its the only method that will stop this spam attack. it might be more hassle for you admin, but if your serious about running this community drastic measures need to be taken before it starts to run users off.

too much spam can be a deathblow to a community like this, dont let it get that far guys.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: http://www.youtube.com/user/CDages

Post by CD AGES »

Yeah this is becoming very problematic indeed!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Wow, this is really ridiculous! I just checked the members list and there were about 48 spam accounts created in the last two days. That's 48 out of 61 accounts! I think the best thing would probably be to block any new registrations until this problem gets sorted out.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

I apologize for not noticing the problem sooner. I've always been using phpbb's recommended anti spam tactics but apparently they are out of date, or most of the new spam is from humans.

For now registrations will be admin approval only. That means I approve every user who registers from now on. so expect to see less spam.
-Impulse

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post by madmax2069 »

Impulse wrote:I apologize for not noticing the problem sooner. I've always been using phpbb's recommended anti spam tactics but apparently they are out of date, or most of the new spam is from humans.

For now registrations will be admin approval only. That means I approve every user who registers from now on. so expect to see less spam.
Hey no problem, live and learn. when it comes to spam this is the most effective tactic. I am just glad that it was taken care of before it really started to effect the community.

I defiantly agree that there needs to be some major overhaul in anti spam tactics no matter the software used for forums or sites.

Now with the registration set to admin approval the only way one can post if a mistake is made and a spambots account is approved, or a recently created account was somehow overlooked. it might be more work but when you look at what you had to clear out (spam posts, spambot accounts) it should be less in many respects.

This is the only tactic that can catch both bot and human assisted spambots.

I guess that by using google or other search engine you can track down spambot usernames for the said pending account to determine acceptance. something similar ca possably be done with their related email addresses.

I have been going through posts to try and find remaining spambot posts.

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

madmax2069 wrote: Hey no problem, live and learn. when it comes to spam this is the most effective tactic. I am just glad that it was taken care of before it really started to effect the community.

I defiantly agree that there needs to be some major overhaul in anti spam tactics no matter the software used for forums or sites.

Now with the registration set to admin approval the only way one can post if a mistake is made and a spambots account is approved, or a recently created account was somehow overlooked. it might be more work but when you look at what you had to clear out (spam posts, spambot accounts) it should be less in many respects.

This is the only tactic that can catch both bot and human assisted spambots.

I guess that by using google or other search engine you can track down spambot usernames for the said pending account to determine acceptance. something similar ca possably be done with their related email addresses.

I have been going through posts to try and find remaining spambot posts.
Thanks for your understanding. We appreciate everyone flagging the spam posts.

I will run the usernames but most of the time the e-mail and username are so ridiculous you can bet they are spam.
-Impulse

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

I think you've done the correct thing here. Cheers guys for clearing all the mess up, I imagine it took quite a bit of effort to do it.

The only two bits of Spam I can see now is 'Briertyneelay' posted in Off Topic and 'emugvasmask' posted in the Lounge.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Yey, now i know that the replies on the posts are not made by spam bots :D

Even if it got worse i wouldn't leave the forum and i believe many would stay no matter what.
Still it's good to see a clean and organized forum.
Thanks impulse.