Dreamcast Racing Wheels?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
noiseredux
Power Stone

Re: Dreamcast Racing Wheels?

Post by noiseredux »

krssn wrote:
rjay63 wrote:For me, only a couple of games benefit from using a wheel - Ferrari F355 and Sega GT - as wheel programming was often done as an afterthought.
Don't forget Daytona USA...
and Vanishing Point!

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't have the set-up. ( yet... )

Post by BionicKoalaBoy »

rjay63 wrote:
krssn wrote:
rjay63 wrote:For me, only a couple of games benefit from using a wheel - Ferrari F355 and Sega GT - as wheel programming was often done as an afterthought.
Don't forget Daytona USA...
Actually I do much better playing Daytona 2001 with a Madcatz pad as it's easier to shift gears.
I really struggle with Daytona and a pad, it's SO over-sensitive. I think the wheel was probably considered the 'first' choice in that case.

Revolt80
noob

Post by Revolt80 »

Anyone seen this wheel before?
Attachments
image.jpg

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

There is a MadCatz MC2 wheel for the DC. I saw it but never got it. I have the one for the PS2/GC/Xbox and it works pretty well.

Revolt80
noob

Post by Revolt80 »

So i just bought these off of ebay. Ill report back how they work once they arrive. Loving me some revolt right now :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

TacT
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Q3A
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

Post by TacT »

DO NOT get Mad Catzzz products are bad I would say everything i ever had from mad catz was crap and broke before, it has a nice little shift nob but don't bother. even my old mad catz rumble pak and light gun both died for no reason.

The concept 4 racing wheel is very nice, strong and sturdy and heavy too. sits on a table and doesn't move around like the others and can be clamped on. its also fully adjustable to go on a table Or can sit it in your lap between your legs is fairly comfortable.
Settings sensitivity and controls are customizable. strong vibration feedback needs power plugged in for that work as most wheels do.
Has nice metal paddle buttons around the wheel, no need for that cheap plastic mad catz nob lol
also has nice shift buttons + and - . no weird lettered buttons like mad catz that don't even exist on the dreamcast lol. Makes it nice to use without the pedals sometimes when I'm being lazy.

Clearly the supieror racing wheel for dreamcast =)

it's still thinking.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Quake III Arena
Racing Simulation 2
Worms World Party

Post by OlivusPrime »

A bit of a necro bump, but I've been doing my own research into this and thought I'd contribute.

From what I could gather across the web, these are the four Dreamcast wheels worth talking about:
  • "Official" Agetec Race Controller - Official branding, feels kind of cheap, famous for its deadzone but this can be modded out if you have soldering skills. No pedals. Rough reputation but there are still quite a few people who stand by it.
  • Mad Catz MC2 - Maybe the most popular wheel and well regarded, includes highly adjustable sensitivity/deadzone, has pedals. Some have complained about its cheap construction though and apparently games only pick it up as a controller rather than a racing wheel. Very rare these days.
  • Interact Concept 4 - Not as popular as the MC2 but seems to be highly rated by everyone who owns it (maybe the secret best of the bunch?). Similar sensitivity adjustment to the MC2 as well as button relocation, has pedals, only one with internal rumble (supplied via an elusive DC adapter). Highly rated construction also.
  • Thrustmaster Ferrari - Not owned by many and maybe the rarest wheel. Some have compared it to the Concept 4 and rate it even higher, others say it feels a bit cheap. Can switch between racing wheel and controller modes, which might improve its compatibility. Has pedals. Frequently highlighted as excellent for F355 Challenge.
Ideally I'd like to get a Concept 4, but while they aren't exceedingly rare in the US, to bring one over here to the UK would cost about £150 after shipping and import fees.

Instead I managed to get a Thrustmaster the other day for a pretty reasonable price (~£50), looking forward to posting a review once I get it, just so that there's a bit more documentation on these available.
Last edited by OlivusPrime on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

Im looking for a wheel that will work with 4x4 Evo. You need both analog and D-Pad controls in that game, ive had the Interact Concept 4 and turning the wheel is actually using the d-pad so no analog controls.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Quake III Arena
Racing Simulation 2
Worms World Party

Post by OlivusPrime »

deluxux wrote:Im looking for a wheel that will work with 4x4 Evo. You need both analog and D-Pad controls in that game, ive had the Interact Concept 4 and turning the wheel is actually using the d-pad so no analog controls.
That's interesting to know, I thought I had heard the Concept 4 could switch between racing wheel and controller modes. Someone posted scans of the manual for it here, might be of help:
https://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/threa ... quirements

The Thrustmaster definitely has a toggle to switch between racing wheel and controller modes, so I'll be interested to see how this fares.

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

Using WingmanSD adapter (another possibility):