Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.
Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

Post by Neohound »

cabou, your choices include three french games ;)

Nice list, I particularly agree with Rayman 2, PSO and Ecco:DOTF - three of the most beautiful games ever made.

To me Vanishing Point looks like a homage to past Sega racing games and even surpasses some of them in looks.

I can't really remember much about AFO, I'll have to check it out over the weekend.

spinksy
Prince of Persia
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO v2, Gundam

Post by spinksy »

Skies of Arcadia

Shenmue 1& 2

Sonic Adventure

I remember Blue Stinger being pretty lol

Rez

Loads more to be honest, there's more good graphics games than most other consoles!
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46
name: Predator

elmagicochrisg
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None for the moment I'm afraid... lol

Post by elmagicochrisg »

spinksy wrote:I remember Blue Stinger being pretty lol
Ah yeah, the bottle in the opening scene. Nice one... ^^
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post by BrianC »

Ahhh Blue Stinger, that was a mixed bag. The graphics were pretty and it had that vibrant Sega feel but the game had the worst animations I've ever seen (the characters walking :shock: ). I keep trying to convince my friend that Skyrim has shit animations but he thinks I'm crazy. I guess I'm being unfair though because I quit Skyrim after about ten hours to play Shenmue 2 instead :D

Another strange issue was I couldn't walk a straight fucking line! It felt like my character was drunk and I had no clue why it was so off. I even tried with a couple different controllers. I had to take a break because I kept walking into the line of fire of those tentacle things on accident and it was driving me insane.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None for the moment I'm afraid... lol

Post by elmagicochrisg »

BrianC wrote:I guess I'm being unfair though because I quit Skyrim after about ten hours to play Shenmue 2 instead :D
I don't see what's unfair about that... :lol:

Play Skyrim for 10 hours.
Quit.
Start playing Shenmue II.
Cry.
Continue playing Shenmue II.
Smile through your tears.
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Family Dog
Anarki

Post by Family Dog »

Quake 3 Arena and MDK2 did and still do look amazing, and come to think of it alot of the Sega Sports titles looked pretty stunning as well (NBA and NHL 2Kx games for example).
dark wrote:Outtrigger was definitely online in the US. I think the game came out in 2001 and the online play only worked until about 2003.
Yeah it was online in the US but PAL regions missed out as usual. The same thing happened with unreal tournament :x
@guacasaurus_mex

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

OK, I'm going to play 'devil's advocate' a bit here...... ;)

The likes of Headhunter, NBA2k2, NHL2k2 and NFL2k2 are all stunningly realised games and technically in a league of their own, certainly on Dreamcast. Superbly programmed, their high poly count produces almost photorealistic graphics on a par with anything from that generation of consoles (even the Wii). But are they beautiful ? Creative ? Artistic ?

Discuss..........

cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

Neohound wrote:OK, I'm going to play 'devil's advocate' a bit here...... ;)

The likes of Headhunter, NBA2k2, NHL2k2 and NFL2k2 are all stunningly realised games and technically in a league of their own, certainly on Dreamcast. Superbly programmed, their high poly count produces almost photorealistic graphics on a par with anything from that generation of consoles (even the Wii). But are they beautiful ? Creative ? Artistic ?

Discuss..........
Yes those are some great graphics but going as far as saying its on par with this generation is too much,you gotta know when to stop lol(dreamcast fans seem nuts 99.9% of the time,and thats from my perspective, a nuetral dreamcast fan).I find them to be artistically stunning because imagine if they still had the high polygon count but looked like a mess.Its how all the lighting, textures ,models, and animations come together that make it look impressive.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

^sounds like he is comparing it to the previous generation (PS2, GC, Xbox) rather than the current generation (PS3, Xbox360). I would say that the cream of the crop graphically games on DC such as DOA2, Test Drive Le Mans, Ikaruga (AKA games made ground up for the dreamcast/naomi, and not simply revamped PSX ports) can certainly compete favorably with that generation's 3D games.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post by BrianC »

I'm not a big sports person but I would say Virtua Tennis is beautiful from an artistic perspective. I loved the colors and the effects :D . As far as the other sports games go I would say technically superb but not artistically.