What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post by Dreamcastnews »

ZBen476 wrote:Would a Max Payne port work for the DC?
I think it was once thought it would make it's way over, but I can imagine that lack of a second stick would be a ball ache
https://youtu.be/XcyBq8vZ3Yg <----- Dreamcast gameplay videos

cast128dreams
minority

Post by cast128dreams »

Ian Micheal wrote:
cast128dreams wrote:
We have gldc opengl1.2 subset SDL old 1.2 etc

Lot of these so called portable games you need to port the deps and libs first to even start looking at them..

Dont want be a debbie downer But porting from source code i have done many times it turns in to years of work to get any speed out of it..

Dreamcast does not act like a pc only has a 8kb cache

cast128dreams
minority

Post by cast128dreams »

Ian Micheal wrote:
cast128dreams wrote:

Lot of these so called portable games you need to port the deps and libs first to even start looking at them..

Dont want be a debbie downer But porting from source code i have done many times it turns in to years of work to get any speed out of it..

you seem to be developer right?...i think we need a new light weight new dev engine for proper 3d for dreamcast ; )

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

cast128dreams wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
cast128dreams wrote:

you seem to be developer right?...i think we need a new light weight new dev engine for proper 3d for dreamcast ; )
https://simulant-engine.appspot.com/ very active discord with dev's withe this engine

ZBen476
noob

Post by ZBen476 »

Dreamcastnews wrote:
I think it was once thought it would make it's way over, but I can imagine that lack of a second stick would be a ball ache
If I'm not mistaken the game was originally going to be made for the DC. I don't remember why it was cancelled, though. In any case, it could become one of those ports like Quake and Unreal where you could easily use the keyboard and mouse addons. But then again, what would be the point if you can play perfectly on PC?

My vote also goes for Silent Hill, as someone stated before. A decent SH1 port, maybe even a SH2 one, would be very nice.

cast128dreams
minority

Post by cast128dreams »

ian haven't seen your work before .both are looking fanatic for dreamcast .I have two questions.1)is this engine based on APIS SDK katana tools ? 2)why only 8 m ram used and 5 (on spaceship) ..Did you used main ram as video ram ?I think why can catch more fps tweeking ram attributes if u didnt maxed it out ....IMPRESSING WORK by the way .I will subbed to your channel.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

cast128dreams wrote:ian haven't seen your work before .both are looking fanatic for dreamcast .I have two questions.1)is this engine based on APIS SDK katana tools ? 2)why only 8 m ram used and 5 (on spaceship) ..Did you used main ram as video ram ?I think why can catch more fps tweeking ram attributes if u didnt maxed it out ....IMPRESSING WORK by the way .I will subbed to your channel.
These are by freakdave and simulant engine this is kos opengl free tools

my work is at my channel.. i showed these to show there is a engine and full lot of devs at that discord I'm a member there..

Wesker
dark night

Post by Wesker »

ZBen476 wrote:My vote also goes for Silent Hill, as someone stated before. A decent SH1 port, maybe even a SH2 one, would be very nice.
Silent Hill 2 may be too much and it would also require either the source code (which actually posed a problem to the developers of the Silent Hill HD Collection back in the day) or reverse engineer some version of Silent Hill 2. I believe the folks of the Enhanced Edition project did a lot of work with the PC version, but I'm not sure that would be enough to take that particular game to the Dreamcast. It would be a huge amount of work anyway.

In the case of the first Silent Hill, not only it's a lesser game in scope, also that reverse engineering through Ghidra (they also mention IDA Pro) in the Silent Hill Community seems to be underway. But still not to the point to convert the game to other platforms I believe. So I suppose we have to wait a little longer for that to be possible. Probably when a PC port is done, the likes of what have been done with similar cases like Super Mario 64 or Driver 2, then this will become a porting possibility too. Unfortunately the bleemed version is very glitched and also not fully completable.

BlazedRunner
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy star online version 2

Post by BlazedRunner »

Dreamcastnews wrote:

Only way I could see it really working well is with keyboard/mouse support tbh..would run more like the pc one anyways I imagine so implementation of the control scheme as I imagine is hard but would ultimately make it a actual playable experience
:geek:

Dreamcast:PAL,Model 1,VGA Box

Twitch.tv/Blaz3dRunner

xjanx
shadow

Post by xjanx »

A tool that would allow to also port the naomi games easily would be awesome.

A running smoothly running version of sega rallye 2 would be great.

And the first part of zero gunner was also a great addition.