Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Post by megavolt85 »

kremiso wrote:just to share another histat update, on his side too :)
in fact, there is little new in this, I synchronized the repositories as soon as I realized that the second stick does not work in the histat version

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

HiStat still oddly requires the PSX files in his version compared to yours which is fully using PC assets. Wasn't there issues with texture rendering the PSX assets and that is why you went with the PC assets? Not to mention that it affected the frame rate of the game since it used PSX assets, Version with PC assets you had up to 60fps correct?

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

PC assets are easier to modify in the future, there were also problems with unsupported texture sizes, but for the PC version there are ready-made assets with textures of the correct size

the frame rate with assets from the PC version is higher, but in busy areas it drops to 30 FPS
I got a Wii a few days ago and now I'm distracted from openlara, I was interested in making a VGA mod on the Wii (DreamCast spoiled me, I can't play on consoles without a VGA monitor :lol: )

moi
blackout!

Post by moi »

megavolt85 wrote:PC assets are easier to modify in the future, there were also problems with unsupported texture sizes, but for the PC version there are ready-made assets with textures of the correct size

the frame rate with assets from the PC version is higher, but in busy areas it drops to 30 FPS
I got a Wii a few days ago and now I'm distracted from openlara, I was interested in making a VGA mod on the Wii (DreamCast spoiled me, I can't play on consoles without a VGA monitor :lol: )
Sounds good. How is the RAM limit? IIRC the PC version demanded at least 16 megs of ram when using 640x480 and 3dfx back then?

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

moi wrote: Sounds good. How is the RAM limit? IIRC the PC version demanded at least 16 megs of ram when using 640x480 and 3dfx back then?
I tested only the first two levels and there were no problems with RAM, just do not forget that RAM is used for textures only when textures are loaded, then textures are transferred to VRAM, and system RAM is freed

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

megavolt85 wrote:the frame rate with assets from the PC version is higher, but in busy areas it drops to 30 FPS
30 FPS is still good for me :-)
I don't know if it's easy and a better way to set at 30 FPS every time ?
megavolt85 wrote:I got a Wii a few days ago and now I'm distracted from openlara, I was interested in making a VGA mod on the Wii (DreamCast spoiled me, I can't play on consoles without a VGA monitor :lol: )
The video output is terribly disgusting. But please don't go away you know we love you here :mrgreen:
Of course if you want to focus on other console do the way you'll enjoy more.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

fafadou wrote: The video output is terribly disgusting.
with native VGA the picture looks good :)
fafadou wrote: But please don't go away you know we love you here :mrgreen:
oh no, I'm not leaving, they just gave me a Wii so that I could evaluate the GameCube game library, but I couldn't get past the VGA mod, it's just as easy to do as for DreamCast

kremiso
Rank 9

Post by kremiso »

megavolt85 wrote:...they just gave me a Wii so that I could evaluate the GameCube game library...
the player force is stronger than the developer one atm :)
is Viewtiful Joe in the list?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

Just insane !