What would cause the VGA output to fail?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Re: What would cause the VGA output to fail?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

SolidSonicTH wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:If the red light on the VGA box isn't turning on then there's a fuse blown on the motherboard. I forget the exact component but basically the box isn't getting the 5v it's supposed to get.
Anyway, if that's the case, can that fuse be replaced?
If you have some advanced electronics and soldering skills maybe. It would be a tiny surface mount fuse so they're not easy to replace. An easier alternative might be running a wire directly from the 5v rail on the motherboard to the 5v pin on the A/V port but of course bypassing a fuse is never recommended.

Either way, here's the A/V port pinout:
dreamcast.png
dreamcast.png (7.61 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

tripletopper
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Maximum Pool
Ooga Booga
Next Tetris
Sega Swirl
Worms World Party

Post by tripletopper »

Hello. I already have an SVideo cord and a VGA cord. All games I have are NTSC-U except for Fire Pro Wrestling, Samba 2000, (both NTSC-J and Fruity(homebrew). I have a DC-X disc. American console.

I can get a SCART but not sure if I need it.

The VGA is direct to CRT VGA, the S video is to RetroTink 2x Pro M and the SCART is to RetroTink SCART2HDMI.
Is there an NTSC SCART on incopatibility list somewhere and an NTSC incompatibility list, or do all work?

Just trying to see if SCART plug for DC is worth it.

RobisMarshall
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake, Starlancer, Chu chu rocket, AFO, PSO

Post by RobisMarshall »

pcwzrd13 wrote:
SolidSonicTH wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:If the red light on the VGA box isn't turning on then there's a fuse blown on the motherboard. I forget the exact component but basically the box isn't getting the 5v it's supposed to get.
If you have some advanced electronics and soldering skills maybe. It would be a tiny surface mount fuse so they're not easy to replace. An easier alternative might be running a wire directly from the 5v rail on the motherboard to the 5v pin on the A/V port but of course bypassing a fuse is never recommended.

dreamcast.png
If you replace the power supply board would that fix the issue as I am having the same problem and have zero soldering skill

RobisMarshall
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake, Starlancer, Chu chu rocket, AFO, PSO

Post by RobisMarshall »

RobisMarshall wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:
SolidSonicTH wrote:

dreamcast.png
If you replace the power supply board would that fix the issue as I am having the same problem and have zero soldering skill
RobisMarshall wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:
SolidSonicTH wrote:

dreamcast.png