Any Console In General

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

max4242
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42

Re: Any Console In General

Post by max4242 »

Well the xbox is built like a computer, its not built anything like a dreamcast
Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42
Starlancer - maxkill

PM any time you want to play!

Mytho
dark night

Post by Mytho »

Looking at normal, mainstream games, the DC is beginning to lose a little luster. Some of the games are beginning to look a tad bit dated (especially the PS1 ports) and the gaming world has moved ahead in some regards. Production values have increased as well as the proliferation of online games. FPS games on consoles, one of the strengths of the DC, have overall improved quite a bit. Playing with a controller is no longer a chore and the experience is much more polished in general. However, the DC still has one vital component over nearly every other console shooter: Mouse and keyboard support. Outside of a handful of PS2 games and Unreal 3 on the PS3, no other console shooter take advantage of keyboard and mouse.

However, no console has been able to really touch the Dreamcast in terms of arcade games, except for the PS2. DC still has the best versions of many fighters, shumps and pick-up-and-play titles. The whole Sega vibe from games like Ooga Booga, Outtrigger, Jet Set Radio, Sonic, PSO and others has pretty much petered out. Creativity and quality are no longer the goals of Sega; they are emulating the business models of EA, Activision and everyone else (churn out mediocre titles and rely heavily on sequels).

In some regards, time has caught up and surpassed the Dreamcast. But the library and legacy are among the strongest ever seen on a console.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

max4242 wrote:Well the xbox is built like a computer, its not built anything like a dreamcast
well max i can not say xbox is unlike a computer. i think the thing that makes you say this mostly is the fact the xbox has a hard drive. and if that is the case the DC had a zip drive add on in the works. and you can get PS2s with hard drives as well. no ones saying PS2 is like a computer. so please explain?

but to say xbox is nothing like the Dreamcast is just not true. you would have to be blind to not see some of the similarities. as for computer like add ons. the DC had a KB and mouse and a zip drive add on witch had a USB port built into it. it never hit the market but the prototype does exist. you can still find some of them on ebay every now and then. also when you bought the Dreamcast new it came with a web browers and modem in the box. no need to buy them extra. if you wanted to buy a BBA to have faster connections you could. how ever this was not needed to get online though.

so if all that you can say is the xbox was more like a computer in order to claim that DC and xbox are different in style. then i'm confused because both seem a lot like a computer to me.

both the DC and xbox systems used microsoft game development software. in the case of the DC it was windows CE. how ever the DC had a sega DEV software kit too. what i am trying to explain here is both systems are a lot like a computer. but the Dreamcast and xbox are a console first and foremost. although microsoft made there consoles software and hardware mimic a PC a tad bit more. i believe this was so they could port more advanced windows based games. the DC still saw many windows based ports by way of CE though.