Unreal Tournament Petition

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Unreal Tournament Petition

Post#1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:53 pm

There is a petition site to allow UT server code to be released. It also appears that this has been a recent topic. Could there still be hope?

Topic site:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archiv ... 23037.html

Petition site:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/UTDCOnline/
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Hobofreak
Sasquatch

Re: Unreal Tournament Petition

Post#2 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:56 pm

I think I signed that a while ago and you never know it might work.

PSO Character
Name: Taz
Level: 26
Type: HUcast
ID: BLUEFULL
Version: 2

Doom27
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:11 pm

from 2006?

Mytho
dark night

Post#4 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 pm

It's great that you have such enthusiasm for Unreal on the DC, but there is nothing we can do at the moment.

Mark Rein, president of Epic Games (developers of Unreal Tournament), has been contacted in the past regarding the whereabouts of the server software. Believe it or not, he replied to the request, stating that he would keep an eye out for the software and begin searching through derelict hard drives. He gave an update regarding the situation, saying that he had not come across the software but again, would keep looking when time permitted.

Signing a petition will do nothing to expedite the process, especially when you consider Epic is busy developing Gears of War 2, supporting Unreal Tournament 3 and working on future products. We should appreciate the support we have received from Mr. Rein and not attempt to rock the boat by shoving petition after petition down his throat.
Last edited by Mytho on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Don't really know, but the topic was in progress even as of last month. Petition was this year.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Doom27
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Mytho wrote:It's great that you have such enthusiasm for Unreal on the DC, but there is nothing we can do at the moment.

Mark Rein, president of Epic Games (developers of Unreal Tournament), has been contacted in the past regarding the whereabouts of the server software. Believe it or not, he replied to the request, stating that he would keep an eye out for the software and begin searching through derelict hard drives. He gave an update regarding the situation, saying that he had not come across the software but again, would keep looking when time permitted.

Signing a petition will do nothing to expedite the process, especially when you consider Epic is busy developing Gears of War 2, supporting Unreal Tournament 3 and working on future products. We should appreciate the support we have received from Mr. Rein and not attempt to rock the boat by shoving petition after petition down his throat.
When was the last update he gave?

xl2k5
rebel

Post#7 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 am

Wow, I just found out this website. I'm the creator of this online petition. I'm happy to see some support for it. I started the petition around april or march 2008. I tried posting on online-consoles for some support, but Lord Nikon deleted it. The point of the petition isn't only to receive the software, it's also, if they cannot release it, tell us how they did it, like help us to build it. Lord Nikon from OC said that he made an almost working UT servers, but didn't want to help me at all nor tell me details. I heard that the guys at dc-arena managed to make it show up in the master server list. I'm happy about your website as I can freely post about it and hopefully get some support. Here's my plan : Gain around 100 signatures for the server software and send it to Epic, Secret Level, and some people involved in making the port to Dreamcast, and then if they cannot release it, ask them questions about how they did it, like a special patch was needed? How did they convert the maps for dreamcast? Etc. I got one map in PC format that seems to be a dreamcast version of the map (barricade). I'm pretty sure the dreamcast version is Unreal Tournament version 404, which never got a patch for pc as far as I know (prove me wrong) but maybe and older version would be compatible too. Now how to make the servers show up? As of now, I'm involved in 2 projects : This server project, and a project for bringing Sega Saturn's Netlink on internet so that people can play online. I hope I could get help from you guys to make it work, and perhaps if some of you have good contacts with lord nikon or dc-arena guys could tell me how to make the servers show up in the master list. Thanks!

Mytho
dark night

Post#8 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:32 am

Doom27 wrote:When was the last update he gave?

I would like to say it was around a year ago or so.

Also, xl2k5, what do you mean by "a project for bringing Sega Saturn's Netlink on internet so that people can play online"? Like running the Netlink through a PC server like you can with the Dreamcast? The reason I ask is because playing games with the Netlink take place not on the internet, but over direct dial, much like a standard phone call. Trying to get these games to run over the internet would introduce lag and stability issues, which would make the Netlink games literally unplayable (game would refuse to connect, horrible gameplay experience).

xl2k5
rebel

Post#9 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 am

I don't think lag would be that big if we do it right. You can play lan games over the net, and you know like me that lan is kind of like direct play but with a much higher limit of data than with a 28.8 kbps modem and more players. The main lag problem would come from the distance. I would try to tunnel uncompressed data, so anyone with a good internet connection should be able to play. I know the netlink doesn't do well with lag, but sure it will be alright as long as you have a good ISP. You can go on www.saturnleague.com for more informations about this. Another member there is working on a line simulator that will allow you to play lan-like NetLink games, and I'll use this device to make the Saturn connect on computer and receive calls from the computer (since the NetLink needs a dial-tone and a ring-tone, which cannot be made only by the modem).

Back on topic, I've done some researches, and it seems that older versions of UT servers are compatible with the unreleased version 404 server, so that shouldn't be a problem. Now I need to know how to make the servers show up to be able to test, but sadly I won't be home for 3 more weeks so I can't do much right now, plus having 2 major projects at the same time and not much free time isn't the best thing, so any help is welcomed.

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#10 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Whe I get the chance, I will sign it too!
Would you mind posting the link up here? :wink:
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube