Intermitant connection issue 2nd Light not coming on always

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Halcyon
rebel

Intermitant connection issue 2nd Light not coming on always

Post#1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I was just reading up on the forums about people who have issues with only a single light coming on for there 56k modem. The problems i have read about had the following solutions that i don't think will help me. In one case it was a known software bug (currently i am using DreamPi V6 (or 1.6 sorry cant remember exactly but should be the latest release)
The second issue was because the USB modem being used was not compatible. (I have a Dell NW147 which seems to be the go to brand here)

So this is my problem as best i can describe it.

After working with out a hitch for about 3 weeks, suddenly i was having a problem connecting to the internet. The most detailed response i would get out of any game or software came from AFO which said that there was no dial tone. I used my multi-meter verified my solder connections were still good for all wires and that i still had a strong 9V coming out of my battery. Everything looks good there.

This may be 100% Pigeon superstition, but it seems to me i get the best luck when i use my web browser disk (planet web 2.6X) and ask it to try to connect while i restart the dream pi by unplugging and then plugging back in the power supply. Typcically after about 3-5 tries i get a solid second light. This whole time i keep asking the software to connect to the network.

Once a connection has been made i can switch games and all of them go online again. And it seems so long as i don't power cycle the RPi i keep the 2nd light lit and am ready to go.

I have tried to move the Modem to different USB ports and it doesn't seem to make any difference i can see.

Has anyone had anything like this?

Could it be that the Modem is defective somehow? or is it some kind of software handshake process that is failing. Should i try to re flash DreamPi onto the SD card again? It is really odd because as i said it was working correctly first time every time for about 3 weeks and now it requires multiple restarts to get going.

Thank so much!
Robots build Robots

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Intermitant connection issue 2nd Light not coming on always

Post#2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Could be something with your LVI? I assume you are not in Europe where 18v required, correct?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:43 pm

The most likely cause is a corrupt SD card. I would try re-flashing the latest image.

Bob Dobbs wrote:Could be something with your LVI? I assume you are not in Europe where 18v required, correct?

You would still get the second light even if the LVI wasn't working so that's not likely the issue.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:36 pm

PC, not referring to that, just wondering being he referenced a 9v that they did not require 18V. Nothing to do with the light.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Halcyon
rebel

Post#5 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks guys i will try that i will reflash the SD card and give it another go. It really seems to me to be localized to the rasberry Pi, and like i said it was working with out a problem for about 3 weeks.

Also yes i live in Austria, but i am a transplant so i brought with me my NTSC Dreamcast which has an NTSC modem, so the 9V is all i need. Or it is all i think i need and has worked for me....

Just quick question what program do you use to flash your SD Cards?

Thanks a million guys!
Robots build Robots

Farmhouse
lithium

Post#6 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 am

Def sounds like an issue with the RPi. Either like pcwzrd13 stated, an SD card issue or it's just not receiving and internet signal. Make sure the Ethernet cable is not loose and DMZ the RPi.

Check your router settings to make sure the RPi is actually connecting to the router and that the IP is not being used by another device (long shot)

Maybe plug the HDMI port into the RPi and see if any errors are popping up while it's booting up.

Kurasiu
fire

Post#7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 am

If the same thing happens after re-flashing your SD card, you might also try changing the USB power cable/charger. If you have a low-quality or damaged cable/charger, frequent undervoltages may occur, and RPI is known to behave oddly when it falls below around 4.8V

If a small, coloured box is popping up on the upper right of your screen, then your RPI definitely suffers from an undervoltage.

I had a similar issue with my setup (all of sudden no dial tone), turned out my DC modem hit the crapper. After replacing it everything works like a charm.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:24 am

Halcyon wrote:Just quick question what program do you use to flash your SD Cards?

If you're using Windows, Win32DiskImager. You can grab it from here.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Halcyon
rebel

Post#9 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 am

Hey fellas,

So i tried to reflash the SD Card but seems to have the same issue. I will try a new SD Card tonight after work......

I will also check the supply voltage for the PI, and i will see if i can figure out how to get a screen shot on this forum so i can show you what the DreamPi is saying there are some failure or error notices in there, but despite those it will connect. Lastly i played PSO online for about 90 minutes last night (great game but i think no one is around in my time zone) so what ever the issue is, it seems that as soon as i get a solid connection i am good to go.

Maybe i need a new 56k modem. I guess i will have to get one next time i head back to the states...

Thanks again guys for all the support i will try the other steps ans see what i get.

@PCwyrd13 thanks for the link, that is the software i use :)
Robots build Robots