DreamPi problems with RasPi 3B

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Kurasiu
fire

DreamPi problems with RasPi 3B

Post#1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 am

I'm having a little bit of trouble with connecting to the internet, using the DreamPi. My current hardware is:

* Raspberry Pi 3B
* DreamPi 1.4 image
* 18V LVI cable (PAL Dreamcast)
* Ives' (PSO Palace) autoconnect PSOv2 disk / PlanerBrowser 3.0

Up to this point I've used an older notebook, with a Dell USB modem and Crunchbag++ Linux, and everything worked as a charm, so the Dreamcast and the LVI cable are ok. Recently I wanted to use my Raspberry Pi instead, so I downloaded the DreamPI 1.4 image (1.0 doesn't work on RasPi 3B), prepared the SD card, connected everything, configured the DNS on the DC, according to the video tutorial, and at a first glance everything is fine (I can see and ping DreamPi, USB modem found, ARP messages in the console, DC modem is connecting with no problems), but the real problem shows up when I actually want to access any internet content.

In both cases, the browser and PSO fail to connect to server, after trying for a little while ("Connecting" on the browser, spinning coloured rhombus thingies in PSO, browser shows a standard "can't find host" error, PSO spits out connection timeout) - though I managed to configure Dreamcast Now! just fine (and it showed I'm currently playing PSO))

At first I thought it may be the ethernet interface (I used WiFi on the older notebook option, which worked), so I used this excellent tutorial ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9725 ) to switch to WiFi on the RasPi... only to find the DreamPi image doesn't even see the wlan0 interface, only the eth0.

Please correct me, if I'm doing something wrong (or if I missed any configuration step) - I'd really like to use the RasPi to play online on my DC!

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Re: DreamPi problems with RasPi 3B

Post#2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi!!!
Looks like that your dreamcast doesnt aim well to any dns but dreampi is running well. Maybe checking the 2 extremes of the puzzle you hit the problem:
-Dreamcast internet setup, it can be working before, but nice to check every parameter. Try it with diferent browsers, im PAL user like you and planetweb do the job very quick and fine.
-Your router, in some situations, that devices are loaded by the devil jajaja. Did you forgot to delete or disable some rule of the previous DC-PC config?

Try diferent games again like Quake 3 or ChuChuRocket, is a fast test :-).

Good luck! Anyway, looks like that you are near to get it working ; -)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Kurasiu
fire

Post#3 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:24 am

Thanks. ;) The funniest thing is that I didn't really configure anything in my router's options, heh (no DMZ, port fowarding etc.), and yet the PC-DC setup with Linux worked like a charm. Does DreamPi require some additional router setup in order to work with an ethernet cable?

Also, since you did that nice tutorial, do you happen to know why DreamPi 1.4 doesn't see any wlan0 interface? Is it disabled by default? The WiFi module works normally under Raspbian/RetroPie. ;)

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Other than enabling DMZ or port forwarding, thats only thing for the router you should have to setup. However I'm now starting to see certain routers simply wont work correctly with Dreampi software, like that AT&T router.

Kurasiu
fire

Post#5 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Alright, I finally got this! :D I just had to update the firmware and the packets, while using the DreamPi 1.4 image - and finally the wireless interface was visible and available to use. Followed this tutorial and everything works like a charm, successfully connected to the Phantasy Star Online and Dreampipe/Sonic Adventure website! Thanks again for the tutorial, Jako! :)

Xiden wrote:Other than enabling DMZ or port forwarding, thats only thing for the router you should have to setup. However I'm now starting to see certain routers simply wont work correctly with Dreampi software, like that AT&T router.

Well, it might be - I'm using a Technicolor TC7200U router, the one that was installed when the ISP connected the cable at my place. Still wonder why the WiFi works and the ehternet cable doesn't (it runs on default settings, and I checked the ethernet cable on my PC - works with no problems).

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:09 am

Great!!! You patience haves reward!!! :-)

Sorry for the delay in the answer, i are agree with you @Kurasiu, be default in Raspian comes with wifi and eth working on the interfaces file, but if i put that normal config dreampi dosnt work. That is a question that Kazade, the father of the thing, would answer better, but sure that that waa changed for some nice reason ;-). Anyway, this weekend i will try another setup more similar to the pcwzrd13 video and if it works, will try to do a script or simple menu to switch for one interface to another easily.

Like @Xiden said, you only left to put enable the DMZ on your router and this weekend you will enjoing playing. I hope to see you on Dreamcast Now!!! :-)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#7 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 am

Thanks. ;) Already did play some Phantasy Star Online using DreamPi, as well as browsed the Sonic Adventure webpage with no problems! And yes, I'm on the Dreamcast Now! too (nickname: Crash). :D

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#8 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:55 am

Great!!!
Only rest to test other games that uses PortForwarding like planet ring or Next Tetris, or 4x4 Evo, is the game of the Game Night of this Sunday.
I hope to battle agains you! Jajajj
This afternoon will play a lot, i will advice of that un the chat of this web.
Congratulations and see you!!! :-)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#9 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Hmm, I downloaded the Planet Ring autoconnect ISO from theisozone, fowarded the 7648 UDP port, but I still wasn't able to connect ("no response from the login server.") Still doing something wrong, or is the server currently down? :( (SA website and PSO are working fine)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Kurasiu wrote:Hmm, I downloaded the Planet Ring autoconnect ISO from theisozone, fowarded the 7648 UDP port, but I still wasn't able to connect ("no response from the login server.") Still doing something wrong, or is the server currently down?

The auto-connect disc probably points towards the old DC-Talk server which has been taken down in favor of the newer one by Shuouma. You'll need a regular copy of the game.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live