How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JotaB
shadow

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#31 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:07 am

Hi! I have a PAL Dreamcast. I've made a line voltage inducer following another tutorial and I've made it with only one 9V plug. Is the second one really necessary? Thank you :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#32 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:43 am

JotaB wrote:Hi! I have a PAL Dreamcast. I've made a line voltage inducer following another tutorial and I've made it with only one 9V plug. Is the second one really necessary?

Yes it is. The PAL modem requires 18v instead of just 9v like the US one. If you'd rather not take it apart again, you can always just import a US modem.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#33 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:05 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
JotaB wrote:Hi! I have a PAL Dreamcast. I've made a line voltage inducer following another tutorial and I've made it with only one 9V plug. Is the second one really necessary?

Yes it is. The PAL modem requires 18v instead of just 9v like the US one. If you'd rather not take it apart again, you can always just import a US modem.

Is it the actual PAL modem which requires 18v or the console? What about a PAL modem in an NTSC console?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#34 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:11 am

dave_van_damn wrote:Is it the actual PAL modem which requires 18v or the console? What about a PAL modem in an NTSC console?

Yes, it's the modem. You can import a US modem and use it on a PAL console with just a single 9v battery.
PSO Characters:

AndehX
shadow

Post#35 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:53 am

Just registered and excited about being able to play the likes of Quake 3 online again.
Got everything I need ordered from ebay, so hopefully I get it all setup by the end of next week.

One question though. What is the lag like? does you get similar latency as you would have done back in the day on 56k? or is it somehow better these days?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#36 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 am

AndehX wrote:One question though. What is the lag like? does you get similar latency as you would have done back in the day on 56k? or is it somehow better these days?

It would be much better. It's dial-up under perfect conditions so you'll get the best connection speed you can possibly get through a 56k modem.
PSO Characters:

AndehX
shadow

Post#37 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:44 am

i see. So what kind of latency do people get using this method of connection? Lower than 100ms?

Xiden
Developer

Post#38 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:28 am

AndehX wrote:i see. So what kind of latency do people get using this method of connection? Lower than 100ms?

Honestly the lag is barely noticeable. It might be a little bit better with a dreamcast BBA on some games though. Quake 3 seems to play perfectly fine with the dialup dcpi method from my experience.

Now some games may have hard coded lag in its game code, like Chu Chu Rocket, where it takes a about 1 second to place your arrows down. However I've yet to see any hard coded lag on other games besides Chu Chu .

AndehX
shadow

Post#39 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am

Yeah, that was my biggest turn off as far as setting up the Dreampi method, but if the lag isn't any worse than using a BBA, then I'm more than happy to give it a go since it costs less than half the price. I also have a few friends who are not as tech-savvy as I am (can't use a soldering iron) who would be very interested in this also.

Xiden
Developer

Post#40 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:56 am

AndehX wrote:Yeah, that was my biggest turn off as far as setting up the Dreampi method, but if the lag isn't any worse than using a BBA, then I'm more than happy to give it a go since it costs less than half the price. I also have a few friends who are not as tech-savvy as I am (can't use a soldering iron) who would be very interested in this also.

Yeah its totally worth it considering you can play all the online games instead of just 3. Plus with dreampipe some of the Dreamcast game pages work :)