I'm just another n00b who decided to buy a DC...

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
wphantom
noob

I'm just another n00b who decided to buy a DC...

Post by wphantom »

...thinking I could burn some sweet games like Power Stone or MvC on my mediocre laptop. In the last three days, I've scoured forums/tutorials, got a mess of adware and still both IMGBurn/DJ refuse to read any CD-R I put in the drive. I bought an htk-3020. It READS other audio cds, but my poor attempts at burns it does not. I have Windows 10, which I realize might be an issue and my burner may be very generic (also could be an issue), but has anyone in the 6 months even posted about this? People have asked these questions before, but I only see posts from years back and no recent ones. Is it still possible and is there a program I can actually use on Windows 10? Currently, with verbatim/memorex cd-r, both DJ and IMGBurn will not read a disc when I put it in.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena, Maximum Pool 4X4 Evo, PSO V.2,

Re: I'm just another n00b who decided to buy a DC...

Post by OGDCFAN99 »

http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/dre ... very-time/

Be sure you follow the instructions for "self booting"

TacT
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Q3A
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

Post by TacT »

Ya Sounds like it might be a problem with your newer combodrive or windows 10 or some combination of all three of those and older programs like DJ might not run correctly, I'm not sure what versions are still out there.
But I have had problems burning discs in the past on my newer computers with combo drives, and went back to using an old p4 PC running XP and a straight cd-r drive (not dvd combo) for burning discs, works much better. My newer drive won't even run slower than 40x burning even when wet to 8x it would still run so fast and the burn wasn't any good.
I guess burning discs are a complete gamble its so chaotic.

it's still thinking.

wphantom
noob

Post by wphantom »

I've come to that conclusion myself. Absolutely hectic. Luckily, I have a couple more PCs to try it on before I let my dog on these cd-rs

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSOv2
Quake 3 Arena
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Ooga Booga
And more

Post by Nico0020 »

Hae you tried burning an audio CD to make sure you Dreamcast will read something you burn?

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

wphantom
noob

Post by wphantom »

UPDATE: I've gotten it to work! SNK vs Capcom and Crazy Taxi burned successfully with IMGBurn and Windows 7, thanks to my moms old pc (which has a decent burner) on 10x. Both are selfboot cdi files and I've tried using Utopia v2 to boot other titles, but it doesn't quite load all the way. The deer/dog will turn silver (signaling the loading process), but it stays silver and just spins around aimlessly. So either Utopia is just moot or I should only be searching to selfboot titles to burn. Has anyone else had this problem with Utopia boot discs?