[Game Boy DMG ] Nintendo Glue Used & What Glue Pattern?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
alvin777
photon blast

[Game Boy DMG ] Nintendo Glue Used & What Glue Pattern?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi. I recently bought a Game Boy DMG model for an ok price. It in an ok condition (complete with battery cover), LCD has scratch a bit, all orig, everything's working including earphone jack but it didn't have an LCD cover. I looked for an LCD cover for about 2 weeks, God willing, I found an original one (cause most don't sell it for parts) which was essentially given/freebie after a bit of labor with my usual source. I can now fully revive the DMG with everything intact and original.

I'd like to ask what kind of glue did Nintendo use to glue it and in what pattern (was the glue applied in a zigzag pattern or it was spread evenly- though I fear it might spread over the clear holes of the led and the screen). Photo attached.

Also how can deep scratches be restored on the LCD cover and the LCD itself (if you run the fingernails, it's gonna' snag a bit in the scratch).

Thank you. Have a great upcoming sunday mass/great upcoming weekend.

God bless, Philippians 2:13
Attachments
Game_Boy_DMG.jpg

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: [Game Boy DMG ] Nintendo Glue Used & What Glue Pattern?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:41 am

It wasn't exactly glued on. It was more like a an epoxy that was sealed sort of like a sticker. Replacements shouldn't be hard to find.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

alvin777
photon blast

Post#3 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 am

Hi Thanks. The third party DMG stickers for the LCD It's not available here and it'll be expensive to import (plus the hassle getting it to post office paying customs) any suggestion as DIY glue substitute? Thanks.

Is that sticker just a backing tape used in electronics (it's very thin but not very sticky)?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 am

I'm not sure since I haven't restored a GameBoy DMG before let alone actually held one.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

alvin777
photon blast

Post#5 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:17 am

Hi Thanks. I'll just test, do a trial and error put bit of silicone sealant, 3M super strength glue and Bostick/Rugby rubber cement. I think rubber cement (the amber colored one) has the highest chance as the best glue for this application.

I'll test which is strong enough but not too strong that it can't be replaced later or buffed for shallow scraches (with a buffer and stuff like PlastX, turtle wax rubbing compound and Scratch off for soft, middle and rough).

I think Elmer's craft glue will suffice but that's gonna' dissolve when it's cleaned later and super glue's too permanent.

God bless, Have a great upcoming sunday mass/upcoming sunday.

alvin777
photon blast

Post#6 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:16 am

Hi. After testing, the best is the thin back to back tape used in electronics. It holds well without being permanent like superglue (I tested polycarbonate samples on the back of the battery cover where it's smooth). All other glue is hard to control too, sticker type (electronics back to back tape, very cheap to buy) not glue is best. Thanks. God bless.