Sega Saturn games on the dreamcast

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Sega Saturn games on the dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Just a few questions regarding the idea of playing Saturn games on the Dreamcast.

1. Were there any Sega Saturn games re-released or remastered for the Dreamcast?
the only one I know of is Daytona USA 2001

2.are there any Sega Saturn emulators for the DC ?
And would the community appreciate any efforts to create and improve a Saturn emu for DC seeing as one exists for PC ?

3.In hindsight do you think it was a good or bad idea for sega not to include Sega Saturn backwards compatibility in the Dreamcast

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Sega Saturn games on the dreamcast

Post#2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Yabause runs on the DC, but Saturn emulation in general is pretty far behind emulation for other consoles, as it has obscure hardware that was difficult for programmers to use at the time and is difficult to emulate even today.

Backwards compatibility wasn't an option, since the DC uses completely different hardware. I doubt it would have been economical to include the Saturn hardware on top of the DC hardware in 1998, as the Saturn wasn't very old at the time. Sega abandoned it too early for the hardware costs to have come down.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 pm

1. Yes there were more than just that. There were Twinkle Star Sprites, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1 to name a few.

2. Yes but it runs at 10% of 1 frame per second. The team over at Yabause made a tech demo running Saturn games on the Dreamcast but was never to be fully functional any time soon.

3. Depends. Backwards compatibility isn't that much of an issue nowadays. However, the Saturn ran completely different than the Dreamcast and then adding backwards comparability would of worked against the SDK which in return would make development a living hell to do. Sega went against it because they wanted anyone to develop for their hardware, and to gain back 3rd party's trust.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Actually Alpha (Zero) 3 doesn't technically count considering the Saturn version was released AFTER the Dreamcast version.

Other releases that I can think of is Super Puzzle Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2X.

Oh! And Virtua Cop 2!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:57 pm

1) I'm interested in this too, lemme think of a list

Super Puzzle Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2X
Twinkle Star Sprites
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1 (includes many classic games ported to Saturn)
Virtua Cop 2
Daytona USA (dc version is greatly enhanced though)
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (on sega smashpack on DC and on sonic jam on saturn)
Real Sound, Kaze no Regret
Black Matrix (DC version contains additional content and enhancements)

Other titles of note
-All neogeo ports on saturn (a significant part of the saturn fighting library: King Of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, etc.) can unofficially be played with fullspeed emulation via neo4all, a neogeo CD emulator for dreamcast
-Certain games that were released on PSX could probably be partially emulated through bleemcast, sometimes with fairly playable results. This would probably cover a lot of third party sports games, certain fighting and racing games (Battle Arena Toshinden)

Between all of these avenues, you could maybe play 1/10 of the Saturn's library on the dreamcast anyway :)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:08 am

Yu Suzuki Game Works doesn't contain ports though, at least not for the Dreamcast. The games seem to be emulated, as they're glitchy (or at least they're poor ports, if they're not emulated). The native Saturn arcade ports are closer to being arcade perfect.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:25 am

Aleron Ives wrote:Yu Suzuki Game Works doesn't contain ports though, at least not for the Dreamcast. The games seem to be emulated, as they're glitchy (or at least they're poor ports, if they're not emulated). The native Saturn arcade ports are closer to being arcade perfect.

Agree completely. Similar sentiments regarding SF Zero 3
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Hang-On and Space Harrier are also in Shenmue (which is a lot cheaper than Game Works), I've never had issues with the emulation in them, of course I suck at Hang-On in the arcade and have never seen a Space Harrier machine in real life.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:47 am

1) Sakura Taisen 1 and 2.

theyoungdreamer
rebel

Post#10 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 pm

now that i think aboutit it would be cool for a saturn emulator on DC.