Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Post#1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:08 pm

So I watched this video of someone modding their LED. What she did was she removed the controller port where the LED was located and de-soldered the old LED and replaced it with the new color. The question I wanted to ask before I start doing this myself is where am I going to connect the negative lead? My assumption is that I solder it to one of the soldered points on the board since it just needs to be grounded. I have no history with soldering or an understanding of how electronics work so please do tell me if what I am thinking about doing is wrong.

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1VVeeQHBXI

krssn
Metallic

Re: Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Post#2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Erm, you just desolder both legs of the LED, then put in the new LED the same way the old one was in there. I don't really see what the problem is...

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 am

krssn wrote:Erm, you just desolder both legs of the LED, then put in the new LED the same way the old one was in there. I don't really see what the problem is...

but I want to use a tri color LED. Doesn't that require extra power?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:10 am

mxlvxnn wrote:
krssn wrote:Erm, you just desolder both legs of the LED, then put in the new LED the same way the old one was in there. I don't really see what the problem is...

but I want to use a tri color LED. Doesn't that require extra power?

At one point I was seriously looking into this mod and have my friend do it for me (same guy did an internal VGA mod that turned out flawlessly). He said that a tri LED mod does indeed require more voltage than what the controller board usually provides. So I believe one of the wires has to be soldered directly to the systems PSU. He said its fairly simple and straightforward procedure.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 am

No idea how those work. Couln't tell...

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 am

krssn wrote:No idea how those work. Couln't tell...

I believe the video link provided by the OP already does a pretty decent job at explaining this particular mod. I may need to see this vid once again just to make sure lol!

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 am

Yup. Just finished watching the vid. It pretty much explains the process in good detail.

krssn
Metallic

Post#8 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:22 am

CD AGES wrote:

I believe the video link provided by the OP already does a pretty decent job at explaining this particular mod. I may need to see this vid once again just to make sure lol!

Ah, missed that. Since I already changed LEDs before -it's the most basic mod ever- and the OP didn't mention the tri color LED part I didn't bother looking at the link... lol

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:31 am

Just watched the vid. Looks like you just have to cut the original voltage input trace for the LED on the controller port board, and use the 3.3V pin on the powerboard instead. Don't see the point in cutting the second trace though. You could just use the original ground point the original LED used if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong...

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 am

krssn wrote:
CD AGES wrote:

Ah, missed that. Since I already changed LEDs before -it's the most basic mod ever- and the OP didn't mention the tri color LED part I didn't bother looking at the link... lol

Lol! Had feeling you didn't considering your response. I automatically assumed a tri LED mod even without having to look at the video after assuming it was the this same vid I saw a year or two ago :D