What Did You Get Your Dreamcast Recently?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
seadart
lithium

Re: What Did You Get Your Dreamcast Recently?

Post#91 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Dreamcastgaga wrote:How much did you get it for out of interest mate?

It was not cheap, I paid $239.99 US dollars for it, but I expected to paid around $200-300 for the black BBA since it is a uncommon variant of an already rare item.. On the postive, I did receive free shipping. The BBA I brought is in mint condition and everything in the box is factory sealed expect for the BBA which has been opened just to test it.

c4ke
shadow

Post#92 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Got my first original DC Arcade Stick (HKT-7300). The arcade stick is a European version, but it works perfect on a Japanese Dreamcast. Gave it a test run with Twinkle Star Sprites. I really need to get used to it, haha! :-)
Last edited by c4ke on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I USE CAPS LOCK BECAUSE I WILL BECOME NOTICED, POPULAR, AND GOOD IN BED

seadart
lithium

Post#93 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:47 pm

I got lucky and found a Blaze VGA adapter yesterday at my local game store. I just tested it and it works well. I also received the BBA today.

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#94 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:38 am

My legit US copy of PSO V2 arrived today for my PAL Dreamcast (import boot disk FTW), $20 sealed and shipped. Finally, i can properly move on to V2 and ditch the burnt version that brutalised my laser everytine a character was loaded, and FSOD'ed me whenever someone joined an online game!
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

Lord*Hypnos
MegaDeath

Post#95 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Found an old PC CRT monitor in an alley! SCORE!

It seems to be about 17" or so, and is a Gateway. A little big, but I'm not complaining!
It definately improves picture quality (connected through VGA), and has no perceptible input lag (as is customary of CRTs).

On the other hand, 240p games that support VGA (unfortunately most of what I play hahaha) look a bit gnarly, but it's not too bad, and actually being able to read my scores without significant guesswork is nice. Eventually I'll try some more proper 480p games.

One thing that's worrying me though is knowing how much to stretch the screen horizontally. I'm not really sure what aspect ratio the screen is. Seems like it might be a trifle wider than 3:4. Whatever I have right now seems to be working for Mars Matrix, though

Also, I'm not sure about tateing it for Gunbird 2. It seemed to work, but with possibly a bit of color issues (I think it was mostly alright though, after degaussing). Also I'm just more concerned about tateing a monitor that's so much less cheap (probably) than my old one. Maybe I should learn how to use the wobble mode...

Pics eventually, maybe?
Also Known as TheRedFox

BootyHunter57
noob

Post#96 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 am

I bought 2 controllee cable extensions, 2 game pads, 2 rumble paks, 2 memory cards, 1 vmu and a game for $30 lol
The dreamcast itself cost me $30 on sunday

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Lord*Hypnos
MegaDeath

Post#97 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:05 am

Here we go. photo of my dumpstered PC monitor
http://i.imgur.com/Us38JKQ.jpg

And now for some TL;DR-worthy rambling:

The settings I'm using for Mars Matrix is (game settings) double vertical resolution to 448, then horizontal resolution to 612 (because some post on shmups forum recommended this), then stretched (monitor settings) to an aspect ratio that feels about right. A little research uncovered that the native aspect ratio of CPS2 games is 12:7, but then the games are designed to be squashed to 4:3 resolution, so that would theoretically have the most logical response from the perspective of control, However it felt a little weird because the default settings gives you a slightly wider screen, so I'm not used to 4:3. Also, I still don't know what aspect ratio the monitor is. It might be 16:10, but maybe it's something more exotic like 3:2, but in any case, it feels good and looks more or less alright.

Also tried crazy taxi as a test of something that's actually 480p and not stretched 224p. That looked pretty nice. I like the clarity that the VGA adapter gives stuff, and it's nice that you can warp the image without it looking shitty. Also: No input lag!
I think I ought to try Guilty Gear X out, because that game should look awesome through VGA on a monitor that has good support for 480p.
Also Known as TheRedFox

seadart
lithium

Post#98 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:46 pm

I just acquired a Dreamcast Keyboard and Mouse. Both are new and are in working properly.

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#99 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:34 pm

I also just finally purchased a DC keyboard
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

alkens
noob

Post#100 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:37 am

New member here..1st post too 8-)

I had a Dreamcast back in 2000, but only recently got back into the DC scene after seeing one listed on Craigslist for $25.00.

Anyway the DC came with Crazy Taxi,Sega Rally, and one controller...therefore it was time to make a couple of purchases.

I've ordered the Tomee VGA cable, and thats arriving tomorrow. Also coming is the 6ft extension cord for controller and one additional original controller.

The missus may now have her Amazon Fire, but I'm just as happy with my Dreamcast!!

Question....From fellow readers experience, how do you think a Dreamcast with VGA connectors would look on a 50" samsumg tv? I'm debating between keeping the DC in the PC room connected to a 32" Trinitron or moving it to the LR on the big TV.