Q: PAL PSO v2 best iso?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#1 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:39 am

Howdy

It is becoming increasingly apparent that i need to upgrade to PSO v2, the problem is that for a decent PAL copy these days i need to fork out $50 - $70.

Whilst i fully intend to grab a proper copy soon, in the meantime i need advice on the "best" PAL v2 iso available.... One with the fast load characters, and one that will cause zero issues for my character/setup both when i convert my character to v2 and when i switch to a proper version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Q: PAL PSO v2 best iso?

Post#2 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 am

Did you get left out of playing shiny quests? ;)

If you're using EUv1, you must use EUv2 in order to go online with your characters after you convert them to Ver.2. The first time you try to go online with any character, PSO will ask you to input both your Ver.1 and your Ver.2 serials, and if the serials you enter do not match the region of the disc you are using, PSO won't let you use those serials (and thus that character won't be able to go online).

This is a one-time problem, though, so once your character has been online at least once with EUv2 so that the game accepts your serials, you can use JPv2, USv2, or EUv2 with that character from that point forward. EUv2 prices went up a lot when it was the only Ver.2 disc capable of going online, but now that BlueCrab disabled the Hunter's License check in JPv1, JPv2, and USv2, those discs are useful again.

You'll need a GD-ROM to do the offline quests, Challenge mode, and to safely play in unlocked teams, as a CD-R copy will FSOD if you try to load character data when you're not on Pioneer 2. You can avoid freezing by playing quests or in locked teams, but not everyone likes to do that. If you're using BlueCrab's loader to patch the game, you could use an EUv2 CD-R to convert your Ver.1 character to Ver.2 and go online for the first time, and then you could buy a cheap USv2 GD-ROM as your main disc. They're cheaper, and BlueCrab's loader will defeat the region lockout and disable the HL check for you, anyway, which largely eliminates EUv2's advantages.

The main benefit of EUv2 now is for people with a PAL Dreamcast and a BBA, as EUv2 is the only Ver.2 that can go online without needing any boot discs; however, doing that means you won't get the map fix that BlueCrab's loader provides, so you won't be able to play Famitsu -Maximum Attack- v2 in Ultimate.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#3 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:05 am

Wow, thats a lot of info!

So basically, if i burn a PAL v2, go online with it once and use the serials, i can ditch that burnt copy and use a cheaper USA GD-ROM proper version from then on? Ive got a PAL Dreamcast but i use the DC IE boot disc for the US version of Q3A so ill just do the same with US PSO V2?

EDIT: Bluecrab loader i mean, not DC IE. I assume Bluecrab loader is a boot disc that will boot a GD-ROM US copy of V2 on my PAL DC?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 am

ch0pzta wrote:So basically, if i burn a PAL v2, go online with it once and use the serials, i can ditch that burnt copy and use a cheaper USA GD-ROM proper version from then on?

Yes, assuming it's either patched to connect here automatically, you have a CB and a CB loader to use the connection codes, or you have a BBA to make it connect here.
ch0pzta wrote:I assume Bluecrab loader is a boot disc that will boot a GD-ROM US copy of V2 on my PAL DC?

It will bypass the region lockout and patch the game to connect here, too. USv2 also has the advantage of having a simple BBA configuration screen, which EUv2 lacks. If you use a modem, then it doesn't matter, of course.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#5 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 am

Ive got a BBA, and i also have my DC configured to connect to Sylverant, even with the "schthack auto connect v2" burnt game i just spun off to convert my character it still connects to Sylverant.

So, with the Bluecrab loader and a US version of v2, ill be all sweet?

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#6 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 am

Hey Aleron Ives, i use your autoconnect disk but i want to buy license copy. Do i need ntsc-u one? Will i be able to use my currecnt character?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:26 pm

ch0pzta wrote:So, with the Bluecrab loader and a US version of v2, ill be all sweet?

Yes. The only benefit of buying EUv2 would be that you wouldn't have to do any disc swapping to play online.

VasiliyRS wrote:Hey Aleron Ives, i use your autoconnect disk but i want to buy license copy. Do i need ntsc-u one? Will i be able to use my currecnt character?

As long as your characters have been online already, you can use a disc of any region. It's easier if you use a disc that matches the region of your serials, though, especially if you make new characters a lot.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Return to “Support”