Help! Is there any VGA to RGB SCART converter boxes?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Crystal Triad
Developer

Help! Is there any VGA to RGB SCART converter boxes?

Post#1 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello everyone, over at our offices, we have desided to invest in multiple VCR's to record our workflow without having the hassle of software based screen capture. However we've ran into a problem, the VGA to SCART cables we bought don't actually work so we decided to look into to this issue. Our answer was less than satisfying because it turns out normal cables won't do the trick there has to be a conversation process done to allow the signal to function properly.

We have yet to come across any VGA to RGB SCART converters so does anyone know of any converters or an other method to convert our VGA signal to our VCR.

Any help would be great thanks,

Crystal Triad
Last edited by Crystal Triad on Fri May 02, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Help! Is there any VGA to RGB SCART converter boxes?

Post#2 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 pm

I do not know if you are aware of this but there are TWO SCART standards, and they are NOT compatible. The most common is the European version but the other is the Japanese standard. There are even Euro to Japanese SCART converter cables available for £12.99.

Euro-To-Japan SCART.gif
Euro-To-Japan SCART
Euro-To-Japan SCART.gif (19.57 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

c4ke
shadow

Re: Help! Is there any VGA to RGB SCART converter boxes?

Post#3 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:59 am

Going from VGA to (euro) SCART involves converting the seperate H- and V-sync from the VGA-output to a single composite sync signal on the SCART. Also make sure the scan rate outputted by your VGA-device is set to 15khz. Your VCR probably won't accept 31khz.

I've only came across some DIY-cables that could work:

http://scarthunter.blogspot.nl/2012/04/ ... cable.html
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/

And also be sure your VCR accepts RGB. Otherwise the alternative would be to go from VGA to Composite video.
I USE CAPS LOCK BECAUSE I WILL BECOME NOTICED, POPULAR, AND GOOD IN BED