FSOD Prevention

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Radkin
PSOaholic

FSOD Prevention

Post#1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Everyone,

Before joining ANYONE's game, please keep in mind that when you join a team that is in progress, you can FSOD the players. With that being said, if you could be courteous enough to ask before joining, that would much appreciated by all. For anyone who is not sure how to do this, you can use the chat feature to message an individual.

Please do not join a game just because you want to play. When a character FSOD's they lose all unequipped items (i.e. money, meds, unequipped weapons/mags, grinders, etc.). For those that do not own the blue swirl back up disc to retrieve lost items, then said user completely loses what they were carrying around.

I advise everyone to get Dream Explorer from Blue Swirl if you have not done so already. I feel it is very important to religiously back up your character not only for this cause, but, you never know if your character will become corrupted.

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/release/downloads/
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: FSOD Prevention

Post#2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I'd just like to add that the server does have an automatic character backup feature as well, which is usable as long as you have registered for an account on the Sylverant website and have added your serial number and access key to that account (which, of course, requires you to have a unique serial number and access key that came with your game).

Also, FSODs should be exceedingly rare unless you are on a backup copy of the game. All backup copies of the game suffer from FSODs when others join and other nasty bugs (like completely breaking challenge mode).

legit nyck
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Radkin wrote:Everyone,

Before joining ANYONE's game, please keep in mind that when you join a team that is in progress, you can FSOD the players. With that being said, if you could be courteous enough to ask before joining, that would much appreciated by all. For anyone who is not sure how to do this, you can use the chat feature to message an individual.

Please do not join a game just because you want to play. When a character FSOD's they lose all unequipped items (i.e. money, meds, unequipped weapons/mags, grinders, etc.). For those that do not own the blue swirl back up disc to retrieve lost items, then said user completely loses what they were carrying around.

I advise everyone to get Dream Explorer from Blue Swirl if you have not done so already. I feel it is very important to religiously back up your character not only for this cause, but, you never know if your character will become corrupted.

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/release/downloads/

I'm sorry but I have to disagree if a person wants to play alone simply put a password ( /setpass ) in that room will not be disturbed correct?
PSO Info:
Characters: ( legit nyck - lvl evolutiong character Ramar )

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm

legit nyck wrote:I'm sorry but I have to disagree if a person wants to play alone simply put a password ( /setpass ) in that room will not be disturbed correct?

The command is /passwd, but the idea is the same:

Aleron Ives wrote:If you're playing on a CD-R, it's assumed that you will set a password to prevent people from joining when you're not on Pioneer 2. It's understood that open teams can be joined at any time, so if your team is open, players in the lobby are going to assume you're using a GD-ROM or that you're on Pioneer 2.

If you're playing a copy of the game that is not fully functional, it's your responsibility to take precautions to protect yourself from whatever problems that copy may have.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

legit nyck
lithium

Post#5 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
legit nyck wrote:I'm sorry but I have to disagree if a person wants to play alone simply put a password ( /setpass ) in that room will not be disturbed correct?

The command is /passwd, but the idea is the same:

Aleron Ives wrote:If you're playing on a CD-R, it's assumed that you will set a password to prevent people from joining when you're not on Pioneer 2. It's understood that open teams can be joined at any time, so if your team is open, players in the lobby are going to assume you're using a GD-ROM or that you're on Pioneer 2.

If you're playing a copy of the game that is not fully functional, it's your responsibility to take precautions to protect yourself from whatever problems that copy may have.

so we can't go into more open rooms without being invited...
sorry but this rule is ridiculous :geek:
PSO Info:

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#6 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm

character backup command doesn't always work, i know from experience.

no one ever said they wanted to play alone...I don't see the point in that, personally.

I just feel it's common courtesy....there is no need to blow this out of proportion.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

legit nyck
lithium

Post#7 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Radkin wrote:character backup command doesn't always work, i know from experience.

no one ever said they wanted to play alone...I don't see the point in that, personally.

I just feel it's common courtesy....there is no need to blow this out of proportion.

Yes of course I'm sorry if I seemed rude just setting in my point of view
There's no way of controlling the entry and exit of people in a room without password
those who do not want to be disturbed or risk losing items and messetas that lock the room not even?
PSO Info:

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

I actually kinda agree with nyck here. If people are playing on a copy of the game that is not fully functional, it is their responsibility to ensure that they adequately protect themselves.

If there was a bug in the server causing widespread FSODs to people on legit copies of the game, then that would be a different story. There isn't though -- this only affects a (relatively small) group of people that are using illegal copies of the game that are known to have this particular bug.

It is stupid to suggest that you should have to ask permission to join a team that is not locked. Not to mention that it isn't necessarily all that easy to talk to people in a team if you don't already know the people playing and have their guildcards. PSOv1 players can't use Choice Search to do that, so you can't expect everyone to be able to do what you suggest anyway...

If you guys would like to implement this as a policy on Vega, feel free. I can guarantee it won't be implemented as policy on Iselia (and probably Altimira as well, judging by what Ives has said) because it's just plain silly to place this burden on people who are not playing with broken/illegal copies of the game. Open teams should be just that -- open to everyone that meets the eligibility requirements to play in that team whenever they want to join.

My US$0.02.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 pm

I agree with Nyck and BlueCrab. I use a legit copy of the game and have never once experienced an FSOD. If you like the game you should buy a legit copy and you won't have to worry about it. If you're using a burnt copy, you know the risks.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Return to “Phantasy Star Online”