Need help :/

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

KayCast
shadow

Need help :/

Post#1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Hello guys , i recently found my dreamcast in my basement and i cant find a AV cable for it ... But thats not the problem ... before i buy a AV (Its gonna cost 25$ with shipping from amazon sadly because of the country i live in) I tried a disc and the drive would spin for a few seconds and then stops ... i thought it was a driver problem and i followed a youtube tutorial which said that i need to disassemble my DC and under the lens there is a red switch i did everything and reassembled my Dreamcast and i tried a disc , now it makes a weird noise (Not the dreamcast noise , i know how it sounds) I will post a video in a few minutes.

Raen
Toy Commander

Re: Need help :/

Post#2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

By the looks of what you tell, you are in the right direction, you need to calibrate the laser lens/motor by spinning that little screw. You just have to turn it slowly and try to boot a disc in every turn, as it is very sensitive.

If you look around, there are plenty of topics discussing this theme in this subforum, where it is better explained.

KayCast
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Check this out , http://youtu.be/69DpLNM-UUw

Even without the noise , the disc spins for a few seconds and then it stops :/

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#4 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:09 pm

You have to turn the screw more, it's a little trial and error really. Try turning in both directions.

You'll notice that the game will boot with the screw turned in a certain direction, if you turn the screw too far, the lens motor will spin too fast or too slow and the game will not boot.

KayCast
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Raen wrote:You have to turn the screw more, it's a little trial and error really. Try turning in both directions.

You'll notice that the game will boot with the screw turned in a certain direction, if you turn the screw too far, the lens motor will spin too fast or too slow and the game will not boot.

Alright :) , how to do this? Im afraid turning it off and on constantly will damage it (Happened with my PS2 and motherboard was damaged :/) and are u sure that its the problem? i mean the disc stops spinning after a few seconds ...

KayCast
shadow

Post#6 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Alright , i changed the pot direction to the left (Looks like this (_) < That but upside down) and it still doesn't work ... Another Video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7x0m14LuU0

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Turning counterclockwise will raise the resistance on the laser. That's not going to help. Turning clockwise will lower resistance and make the laser stronger, thus making it easier for the laser to reflect the data on the disc. Be sure not to turn it clockwise too much or you will burn the laser. There's no going back once you get to that point. Small increments are key here...

I'm sure I already explained all this in detail here somewhere...

KayCast
shadow

Post#8 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 am

krssn wrote:Turning counterclockwise will raise the resistance on the laser. That's not going to help. Turning clockwise will lower resistance and make the laser stronger, thus making it easier for the laser to reflect the data on the disc. Be sure not to turn it clockwise too much or you will burn the laser. There's no going back once you get to that point. Small increments are key here...

I'm sure I already explained all this in detail here somewhere...

That noise has nothing to do with the Pot tweaking ... it didn't do that at the beginning but when i opened the dreamcast the did the pot tweaking i must have forgot something ... i dont know :S

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 am

I just watched the video in the link, and you're right. That noise has nothing to do with the lens being weak. I guess you made a mistake while putting everything back together. Hard to tell what the problem is without seeing it...

Make sure the white cogs under the lens have a good grip on each other.

KayCast
shadow

Post#10 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 am

Nevermind , i bought another dreamcast :) Ill fix this one later or use it for parts.

Return to “Support”