Repairing a PS1

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

FightingVipers
BFG-10K

Repairing a PS1

Post#1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 am

I have a second gen PS1 in my collection it powers on but the drive does not spin, lense does not move.
I think fault is in the drive as rest of console is working, it detects memory cards and controllers.
I can get replacement parts from china, not badly priced and its a seller i have used before (hes good) what im asking is can i use any replacement PS1 drive
or are they matched by console.
Thanks guys for any help.

krssn
Metallic

Re: Repairing a PS1

Post#2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Lens probably doesn't move because it does not detect the disc.

Push down the little button in the back under the cover and power up your console while keeping it down. See if you can see a faint red dot on the lens. If you do the laser still works but it's probably not strong enough any more. Then open up the console. Find the little screw on the black lensblock -it's really small and has three tiny tiny blobs of solder connected to it- and gently turn it clockwise in small increments of maybe 5 degrees. Test the console after each turn to see if it works yet. Once it works it's a matter of fine tuning. You can even do this with a music or game disc in your powered up console. If the laser's still not strong enough it'll make these faint chirping sounds when reading the disc and chances are the motor will lose traction and stop spinning again. If the laser is too strong the disc will spin like crazy and either keep doing that or stop completely. In that case turn the screw counterclockwise untill it acts normal again.

Be careful not to turn it too far clockwise or you'll burn the laser and it's bye bye PS1.

Turning counterclockwise turns resistance up and makes the laser less powerful.

Turning clockwise lowers resistance and makes the laser more powerful.

FightingVipers
BFG-10K

Post#3 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Figured it out, the lid cutoff contact wasnt connecting properly i stripped and cleaned everything and its working, but the drive assembly is making funny noises, kinda rough sounding.
Ive found the exact motor and laser assembly and the guy in china has one so i will probably buy it as a spare £8.95 shipped, i cant complain.
Thanks for the help.

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Those funny noises are the chirping sound I was talking about.

Just turn the pot clockwise a little...