GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Re: GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast

Post#31 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:51 am

Alec1382 wrote:
MrSega wrote:Also, wouldn't modifiying Dreamcast using a PC-CDROM lens allow Dreamcast to read Windows 98/2000/XP games?

No. The Dreamcast can already read CD-R's as is. Assuming the Dreamcast chipset is fine with reading PC games due to Windows CE compatibility, it's probably due to BIOS coding of some sort. You know, that strange ring on the disc, near the hole in the centre.

It should be fine reading CD-Rs as it is. It just doesn't know what to do with them since DCs are not designed to process the kind of information that is on them. Some games have been ported though. There's this one trilogy from the makers of Halo that got ported. Marathon. You can even play it with the keyboard. You can't save though. So good luck with that... lol
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#32 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 am

elmagicochrisg wrote:
Alec1382 wrote:No. The Dreamcast can already read CD-R's as is. Assuming the Dreamcast chipset is fine with reading PC games due to Windows CE compatibility, it's probably due to BIOS coding of some sort. You know, that strange ring on the disc, near the hole in the centre.

It should be fine reading CD-Rs as it is. It just doesn't know what to do with them since DCs are not designed to process the kind of information that is on them.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

atreyu187
brutal

Post#33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 am

Anyone happen to still have this guide with pictures?

MrAlextov
MegaDeath

Post#34 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 am

It looks like pictures are f*** up. The original pictures replaced with fake.
Just started Java Programming Learning...

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Once I get another broken dreamcast,

I am going to try and swap the lens another way... (not using the replacement pc cd rom ribbon cable etc.) Since it is very hard to find a PC CD-ROM ribbon cable that matches the DC's ribbon cable. And I dont want to cut the replacement ribbon cable to fit the laser assembly. This is what makes it hard to find a compatible laser lens to swap.

I have some laser lenses that I have removed from a few 1999-2003 PC CD-ROM drives. (there is a cable and there are 2 magnets holding the laser lens in place)

If you look at the actual laser lens, after you remove it from the cable and magnets... you can see that there are 4 solder points.

I am simply going to solder the new pc cd rom laser lens at those 4 points to the dc laser lens assembly. Then adjust the potentiometer.

It should work??

IF it does I will post an update.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#36 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

SMiTH wrote:Once I get another broken dreamcast,

I am going to try and swap the lens another way... (not using the replacement pc cd rom ribbon cable etc.) Since it is very hard to find a PC CD-ROM ribbon cable that matches the DC's ribbon cable. And I dont want to cut the replacement ribbon cable to fit the laser assembly. This is what makes it hard to find a compatible laser lens to swap.

I have some laser lenses that I have removed from a few 1999-2003 PC CD-ROM drives. (there is a cable and there are 2 magnets holding the laser lens in place)

If you look at the actual laser lens, after you remove it from the cable and magnets... you can see that there are 4 solder points.

I am simply going to solder the new pc cd rom laser lens at those 4 points to the dc laser lens assembly. Then adjust the potentiometer.

It should work??

IF it does I will post an update.

Interesting... let us know how it turns out for sure. 8-)

Jinx
Doom

Post#37 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 am

[redacted]
Last edited by Jinx on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

MrAlextov
MegaDeath

Post#38 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:35 am

And I Thinked almost the same thing. Dreamcast for Homebrew games. At the top I would add Green Swirl Dreamcast logo and use it for Homebrew games/programs. Or just take the dead Dreamcast and to add an SD mod to load games from there.
Just started Java Programming Learning...

Impulse
Admin

Post#39 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:15 am

Updated topic with correct tutorial images. Thanks to drmcst for re uploading the correct images to the web!
-Impulse

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#40 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Well I finally got around to swapping a pc cd rom laser lens for dreamcast laser lens. I tried 3 different pc cd rom drives until i finally got one to work perfectly. I used an old NEC pc cd rom drive and had to tweak the potentiometer a bit but it works perfectly for retail GD-ROM games and backups.

In fact I would have to say it works better than a stock dreamcast laser. What was nice about the NEC pc cd rom laser lens was that it fit the plastic gear piece perfectly with the stock screws. I had to remove the top portion of the stock dreamcast gd rom drive, and removed the plastic piece on top of NEC laser lens. Also as guide says the dreamcast gd-rom ribbon cable will leave 1 pin unattached.

It is nice to have a Model 0 dreamcast working like new if not better than originally manufactured. Thanks for the guide and I will try to get a few other dreamcasts fixed using this method in the future.

*You can find old pc cd rom drives at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. So this is not a bad investment for increasing the dreamcasts shelf life. Maybe this will also be beneficial in using backups and not worrying about damage to lens since it is using a superior pc cd laser lens? who knows time will tell. Next up I want to do a link83 bios mod and add ide HDD to DC :)