Official Dreamcast VS Link Cable Pics!!!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
atreyu187
brutal

Official Dreamcast VS Link Cable Pics!!!

Post#1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm

All of the photo's can be found here

Hope you all enjoy as I have been after pics of this for a long time and thought it would be nice to share. Maybe one day I will open my Dragoncast cable but that one is still sealed and I forgot to snap pics of my open one before selling it via eBay.

Raen
Toy Commander

Re: Official Dreamcast VS Link Cable Pics!!!

Post#2 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

If I remember correctly, there are pics of the Dragoncast around. The thing about the Dragoncast, it's that its main chip is protected by some sort of coating no one has dared to remove. At least that's the impression I got by reading some topics over at Assembler.
And there are manuals online to build a DIY Vs Link cable (similar to how to build a coder's cable).

Nonetheless, thanks for the pics, those should make some folks happy :wink:

There should be more people like you, willing to open up/unseal their stuff and share what those things look like inside, so maybe they can be reproduced for everybody else, specially for those of us who can't collect or have it all, so in the end everybody can enjoy what SEGA did/intended to do.

atreyu187
brutal

Post#3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Yea this was NiB when I got it, some guy had it buy it now on eBay for $20 shipped so I snapped it up quickly. I then sold my used Dragoncast cable for $20 buy it now or $.99 starting bid. It went up to $137 so I made out in the long run. I would have been willing to tear that one apart but the other one I have is still sealed so I will hold off after that info you just sent me. I know where they sell the Dragoncast for $33 so I might buy it just to remove the blob and take photo's. And from what I understand the DIY cables are like the Dragoncast hit or miss and not 100% all the time. This cable however works like a champ every time with every game. Glad you like the pics and I can help the DC community any way I can.

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Do you have a link to those DIY cable schematics?...

atreyu187
brutal

Post#5 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm

The site where it was hosted is down. I dont recall jjl0dm making a VS cable but LAN adapter I do as well as his serial port adapter work. Taobao .com is where they sell homemade cables but they never post their work. I have a hybrid VGA/SD adapter from them as well as their VS cable. Theirs only works for two games, VOOT & F355 the other titles do not seem to work well if at all. The signal drops off all the time with Aero Dancing and Sega Tetris for me.

uglybuddy6
lithium

Post#6 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

atreyu187 wrote:The site where it was hosted is down. I dont recall jjl0dm making a VS cable but LAN adapter I do as well as his serial port adapter work. Taobao .com is where they sell homemade cables but they never post their work. I have a hybrid VGA/SD adapter from them as well as their VS cable. Theirs only works for two games, VOOT & F355 the other titles do not seem to work well if at all. The signal drops off all the time with Aero Dancing and Sega Tetris for me.

Would you still have the link? we could try using the wayback machine to see if they have a copy of the site

Hamlet
noob

Post#7 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I bought a Dragoncast VS-Cable and opened it.
I don´t want to remove that black round sticker unless i get a broadcast adapter to play F355 versus. Makes still a lot of fun to play.
Attachments
SAM_1382.jpg
SAM_1379.jpg
SAM_1378.jpg
SAM_1377.jpg
SAM_1371.jpg
SAM_1370.jpg
Sealed March 2001
SAM_1369.jpg
Z80A,6510,68k,G3,4,5,i7
Vectrex, DC, Wii