dreamcast controller into a arcade pad

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

djexotic
dark night

dreamcast controller into a arcade pad

Post#1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:41 am

have anyone done it and how hard is it. because i am thinking about doing it with some sanwa parts i got left over from my arcade pad off of 360

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: dreamcast controller into a arcade pad

Post#2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:53 am

If you got decent soldering skills, then it should be a piece of cake!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

djexotic
dark night

Post#3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 am

the reason i ask is because i see alot of people modding a 306 controller to a snes and few sega genesis which i was very surprise. but no dreamcast mod of a arcade pad. even the toodles cthulhu mult-console pcb board that said it can do the dreamcast but no diagram. this is the reason why i am doing this but need to research more because i read somewhere that if i hard wire the controller that i might have a chance of a lag.

btw, my soldering skills is ok. if i fix dj equipment then i can do this. but wish me luck.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 am

Then I wish you good luck... as well as a favor if you can oblige. If you can document your project (if you decide to go for it) here on this thread and provide a journal like entry of your progress as well as pictures for reference. I hope it's not too much trouble to ask this of you. Not only speaking for myself, but i'm certain many can find this mod very useful (I always wanted to do this as well but my Soldering skills are terrible!)

djexotic
dark night

Post#5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:30 pm

look like its time to bust out the camera and start doing some filming of my work then.

djexotic
dark night

Post#6 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm

ok, i done some research. the controller well work if i hard wire it but the problem i am going to run into is the tripper buttons because they are not anaolog. meaning i made face some lag. but if i can find a 3rd party controller with the six button layout i be ok but which is better. i am looking at two right now.

one is the a yobo dreamcast controller and the other is the madcatz controller. are these good and have anybody try them before.

djexotic
dark night

Post#7 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 pm

well, i am going to do a mc cthulhu pcb route. this thing is a mult-console set up. meaning i can play snes,genesis,saturn,ps1&2, and even the dreamcast what i read its work very great. even the dreamcast part. so i am going to try this out pretty soon in september and see what i get. also i am going to used the usb output because i don't want to get the ethnet cord set up. here the pcb pic and only cost $35 to get.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:09 pm

tripper buttons because they are not anaolog. meaning i made face some lag

Oh yes i forgot! Now i see what you mean about your lag issue. Using a 6 button DC controller may work. I would say go for an Ascii pad (the controllers PCB acts as if its an arcade PCB as the console recognizes it as an actual official arcade stick!) but these controllers are hard to come by these days...

one is the a yobo dreamcast controller and the other is the madcatz controller. are these good and have anybody try them before.

Well shouldn't their quality be irrelevant to your cause...? Essentially all you require is their internals, something i'm sure many can't provide substantal feedback on... I may be wrong though :lol:

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 pm

The Quantum Fighter Pad or the Madcatz controller are both cheap 6 button DC controllers. The extra two buttons can double as digital versions of the trigger inputs, so that should be no problem. Many people have used these controllers for making a DIY arcade stick, and the quantum fighterpad in particular has LARGE solder points.

Here is the quantum fighterpad, look at those giant connections where the 6 buttons would go!