DC-VGA box; does anyone have problems with the RCA out??

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Re: DC-VGA box; does anyone have problems with the RCA out??

Post#11 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 am

I've emailed the seller to ask if I can swap it for a tested one, I don't want to have to keep adjusting the cable everytime I turn it on!!
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I've had this one since 2001. The switch between VGA and RCA works fine. I've never had problems with it.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm

looks nice, and the device allows you to hot swap between the two? you don't have to move plugs around? Any problems with the picture going blue or green randomly?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:24 pm

All your questions may be answered by going to pcwzrd's channel and checking his overview of his VGA box. Its the very same one. They are made in transparent clear, transparent blue and transparent orange.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:looks nice, and the device allows you to hot swap between the two? you don't have to move plugs around? Any problems with the picture going blue or green randomly?

No display problems. I've hot swapped before while the game was booting up and it was fine. Also hotswapped while in the bios and that worked fine. I'm not sure if hot swapping works after a game is completely loaded ... but if it doesn't work, that would probably be b/c of the game coding rather than the vga adapter. Some of the games that are hard coded to display only in 320x240 such as Airforce Delta, Last Blade 2, KOF DM99, don't work, and also still don't work via forcing or the "swap trick" you can see on the internet in some places, suggesting switching from RCA to VGA while booting up.

No need to move plugs around. On the VGA box, you have a separate plug for VGA out, and for RCA out. There is also an S video out, and a stereo headphone jack out, that you can plug into speakers as well. Plenty of options, though no SCART on mine, probably because it was intended for an NTSC/USA market :)

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 pm

thoughno SCART on mine,

There isn't a single VGA box on market that ever had scart connection lol!

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I never said there was! But thought I'd mention it since DCU is from the UK, and Europeans are always talking about their SCART connections lol.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Ah! I see lol! To be perfectly honest I perfer VGA cables/adapters that omit the Svideo and AV entirely, thus removing that huge box area that houses the multi connection ports. Don't find them of much use when I already have seperate AV and Svideo cables that are connected to a second dreamcast on dedicated CRT tv.

I've been fortunate to own a sturdy Blaze VGA cable that I've had since 01! I've never had a single problem with mine. With that said, I must agree with elma that just about every current blaze vga cable are complete shit. Their build quality has gone way down (I have friend who's gone thru quite few because they simply break down). As a matter of fact, I feel that any DC VGA box, cable or adapter that's still produced today are all simply garbage! Their components are cheap, build quality is laughable, they are just terrible.

There is only one VGA cable that's still made and worth your time and money IMO. Cabou's VGA cable. Easily the greatest iteration of the VGA device that's ever been made!

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 am

I agree CD Ages... given the choice I'd rather use VGA exclusively but as I need to move from the VGA display when playing to the RCA when capturing it makes sense to have a switch rather than always have to unplug and swap the cable I'm using

Regarding the clear one don't worry I had one myself I know how it works I just wondered how it was for you in your own personal experience

Mine had trouble with the RCA out, it just seemed dead. this new one is fine its just got a slight loose connection

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 am

What do you mean that it seemed dead: Like, the picture quality was lackluster? Or it simply didn't work?