Dreamcast soft resetting mid gameplay

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TripMercy
Anarki

Dreamcast soft resetting mid gameplay

Post#1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 am

I recently bought a copy of King of Fighters 99 Dream Match for my DC and whilst playing it after a fight ends the DC will soft reset on its own. Anyone know anything about it?
Im vengeance, Im the night, Im Batman

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Re: Dreamcast soft resetting mid gameplay

Post#2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Maybe a scratched disc? Have you tried to clean it? Does it appears always after the fight or randomly?

Have you tried to clean the lens with a soft Q-Tip and water? It might help (at your own risk!). I rescued two Dreamcast consoles with this "trick".

If it appears randomly:
Sounds like a heated connection between the mainboard and PSU. It's a known problem. Open your Dreamcast and put some toothpicks in the white plastic...thing (bottom left between the power switch and capacitors). That'll do it. If not you better solder the connections.

Opened Dreamcast:
http://i49.tinypic.com/334rxtv.jpg

TripMercy
Anarki

Post#3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

Yes it happens only after a fight and I tried cleaning both the disc and lens. It's the only game I have that resets in this manner so I guess it's the disc
Im vengeance, Im the night, Im Batman

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#4 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 am

Is the disc in a used condition?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:38 am

I'm inclined to believe that this is a preowned disc. I also get the feeling that this disc has gone through a resurfacing process at some point. I just get the feeling considering what's issues he's having and whatnot.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news