PSU issue - replacing Fuse

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dexterhowland
noob

PSU issue - replacing Fuse

Post#1 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Dreamcast comunity.
I have an NTSC (American) Dreamcast model HKT3020 110V.
Where I live power comes in 220V and I made a terrible mistake; plugeed it direct to 220V and so the system is not working anymore.
Tooked all parts away and cheked the PSU Capacitors with a multimeter and seem to be unharmed.
The fuse does not give any reading and so, I bougth the 2 AMP regular fuse (the glass ones) since electronic shops do not sell the DC type anymore.
Have no idea how to replace it BUT I know there is a way to make it work and have my system running back again. Would certainly thank anyone that could guide me to do so.
Greetings from Argentina

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Re: PSU issue - replacing Fuse

Post#2 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Replace the fuse with a 2A 250V fuse. This will require soldering. It's the round one just behind the AC in. In case you had smoke coming out of the Dreamcast, or a bad smell, you might wanna replace the big capacitor on the power board too. Check if the capacitor's head isn't bulging...

On a side note, bought 6 replacement lasers for my DCs a while ago. Decided to fix one today only to find out that none of the 6 lasers I bought from that store work. Can't file a claim anymore since I bought them in february. That's €91 down the drain...

FUUUUUCK !!!

Ok, lemme know if you need more help...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#3 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 am

Good luck getting your dc back to a working order. And welcome to the site, of course 8-)

elmagicochrisg wrote:
On a side note, bought 6 replacement lasers for my DCs a while ago. Decided to fix one today only to find out that none of the 6 lasers I bought from that store work. Can't file a claim anymore since I bought them in february. That's €91 down the drain

There is someone out there who needs those lasers. List them at eBay or Craigslist, I'm sure the free market will take care of this ;)
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

Dexterhowland
noob

Post#4 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for your warm welcome to the forum and replies.
Thing is I could not find any soldering type fuses on the market. The only 2AMP 250V fuses I got are the glass ones (canister type).
What I´ll try is unsoldering the original fuse and adapt this glass fuse using a bridge with cables and a fuse holder.
By the way, thanks for the capacitor advice. Got no black smoke on those and got readings on the multitester. Only thing I am afraid is having the little transformers burnt as well. Not sure how to test if they are indeed burnt.
Will come back and let you know how it all goes.
Cheers

Dexterhowland
noob

Post#5 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi all,
I was finally able to solve this issue. Fortunatelly the problem was on the fuse and so I replaced it using a simple Glass Type Fuse and adaptor (Fuse Holder).
Just want to leave pictures and info on how I did it for users that run into the same issue. Remember this is for replacing the NTSC "American" model fuse if you don't have the original one that comes soldered to the circuit board.
The key is finding a way to adapt the 2AMP 250V Glass Type fuse to the circuit board without having to solder the fuse itself to it.
Step 1 - Remove the burnt fuse(Unsoldering required).
Step 2 - Remove soldering remains from circuit board.
Step 3 - Insert the Glass Type fuse into the Fuse Holder.
Step 4 - Prepare Fuse Holder cables to fit into the circuit board holes.
Step 5 - Solder cables into circuit board.

Pictures to follow:

Glass Type 2 AMP 250V fuse
Burnt Fuse
Comparing size
Aerial View of fuse holder adapted to circuit board to fit new fuse
Side shoot of how it looked for close view. Notice cables soldered to circuit board.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1IE5saM-xM[/youtube]

Don´t really know if this solution has been done before. I think will help others in case they run into same problem. Now my DC is working again.
Any further ideas / advices are very welcome.
Cheers from Argentina