Some lens-motor problems

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Extor
noob

Some lens-motor problems

Post#1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I came here while I was looking for some fix for my poor DC.

I have it since a long time and a few years ago (maybe 5, I don't remember XD) it stopped reading disc. Before this tragedy this "not-working" thing was common, it was going to a videogame service store and get it momentary fixed and back. But that last time, everywhere I went the answer was something like "The lens doesn't work and we don't have replacements for it", so I desisted in fixing my beloved Dreamcast and I kept it.

Now... a few weeks ago I learnt that you can use a CD-Rom lens on a DC and it works! So I did.

I managed to get the lens into a DC and when I turn it on it shines it's red light along with moving up and down, even if I move it from it's starting position it goes back to it's starting position.

Now... my problem is that the disc isn't spinning properly. Whenever I put a disc on it and close de lid (or push the little black lever to make it think I did) the disc doesn't move. If I give the disc a bit of momentum before closing, the disc starts spinning (slow) and then it stops again. Sometimes when I close de lid the disc starts spinning even slower and stops.

Soo.... my guess is that the motor that is in charge of spinning the disc is almost dead and doesn't have enough force to spin the discs properly.

But, maybe I'm missing something that I "un-fixed" while I was changing the lens.

Since this forum has lots of info on repairing the console and it's active, I'm here to see if you can help me help my poor Dreamcast. =P

Cheers from Argentina and sorry for the long post. XD

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Some lens-motor problems

Post#2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:55 am

Welcome to the forum!

With regards to your issue... hmm, perhaps just taking apart the GD Drive and putting it back together may just do the trick. Other than that, I really wouldn't know how else to fix this particular problem. You mentioned that your DC being pretty old, have you thought about perhaps investing in another DC console (while saving your current unit for parts)? Here in the U.S. they are quite cheap and can be found rather easily. Is there a healthy scene in Argentina for Dreamcast consoles or DC games? If I may ask, what's the popular game retro scene like over there?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 am

There's nothing wrong with the motor. It just doesn't spin because the lens isn't working as it should. Because it's not alligned with the disc, or because it's not calibrated, or simply because the lens is not compatible. I've said this before and I'll say it again, just buy a new Dreamcast lens on eBay. Search for 'SPU3200' or 'dreamcast lens'. You'll find what you need for less than 25 euro shipping in...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Extor
noob

Post#4 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for the answers!

CD AGES: The Sega Dreamcast is almost non-existant here, I knew only 3 more people who owns/owned a DC through their life without counting me. So, the short answer is "nope". The most popular retro... it was the NES(It was called "Family Game" here) and the Sega Genenis, going a bit more into the future, the PlayStation 1/2.

elmagicochrisg: Maybe that's the best solution... =P
Now... is there anything to have in mind when selecting which lens to buy?
What about this one? Link!
I don't have too much luck with my international transactions, but maybe I'll give it a try. =D

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#5 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hmm, this one is a Sanyo lens. I've seen others on eBay sell JVC lenses. No idea which one is the best. Anyone care to help this guy out?...

It's a 16 pins SPU3200, so AFAIK it should work just fine. It certainly has the right shape. But if you wanna be completely sure buy one that has Dreamcast in the description...

Extor
noob

Post#6 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm

In a rapid turn of events. This saturday my friends bought me a working Dreamcast console!

So right now I don't have the need to fix the old one. But, I'll probably do it anyway to have a spare one. =3

Maybe someday I'll buy one that clearly says Dreamcast like you recommend.

Thanks a lot for the support!

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Extor wrote:The Sega Dreamcast is almost non-existant here

Extor wrote:This saturday my friends bought me a working Dreamcast console!

-_-

Extor
noob

Post#8 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Hehe.

There isn't any contradiction on those both statements. But that DC was in our version of eBay (Mercado Libre) used at more than 80 dollars, and to be honest, spending that amount on "repairing" my console wasn't very viable.

From what I can see on eBay, they still sell new VMUs at very cheap prices along with the VGA Box (more than 75 dollars here XD) maybe I'll buy some stuff there. =P