Disc stops spinning after 3 seconds - "Please Insert Disc"

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mtth182
shadow

Disc stops spinning after 3 seconds - "Please Insert Disc"

Post#1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 pm

From my hours of research, I've seen a few people with my similar issue

I've been messing around with a Dreamcast for about a week now. De-assembly and re-assembly.

I already broke the lid switch - so I had to solder the back so it thinks it is always shut. - worked for the past week regardless

Decided to repaint it today - and after reassembly I got an issue (it worked fine prior to doing this)

"Please Insert Disc" - not Disc Read Error though

While screwing some stuff in, I decided to flip it and forgot that the top part of the lens assembly wasn't screwed it and it fell - ribbon didn't tear or anything though - only a slight bend, I've seen working ones in worse shape

The disc spins for about 3-4 seconds - then stops ; obviously won't read the disc. When I move the glider out of position, it moves back to the normal position.

I've done the following
Cleaned the lens, cleaned all ribbons, re-set all ribbons, messed with the voltage, rebuilt the thing 3 times, slid the lens back and forth , ect ect

From what I've seen - it could be a fault in one of the two motors ; as it gives an initial spin, then stops. But doesn't make sense

What else is left to do other than just swap out the GD-ROM ?

Kinda makes me wonder if the soldering could have came loose - since it is giving me the same "Please Insert Disc" error as when I Broke the lid switch; but seems unlikely since it spins for a few seconds and it is on there tight

Thanks all!

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Re: Disc stops spinning after 3 seconds - "Please Insert Dis

Post#2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:13 pm

First thing you can check is if the laser is active. Does the lens part come up after you power up the console, and can you see the red laser working?...

This is actually a hard one to fix without seeing what's wrong. So I can give you some pointers, but that's it...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

mtth182
shadow

Post#3 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:53 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:First thing you can check is if the laser is active. Does the lens part come up after you power up the console, and can you see the red laser working?...

This is actually a hard one to fix without seeing what's wrong. So I can give you some pointers, but that's it...

I cant see any visible red laser ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXziCwL_ ... AAAAAAAAAA

Is a brief video -only 10 Seconds long ; doesn't show the glider moving, but it does.

You can also see the lens moving up and down. However - no visible red laser. Making believe that its more likely a F'd up ribbon than the motors.
Last edited by mtth182 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtth182
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:53 pm

***double post

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

I imagine the ribbon cable has just been dislodged from its connector. Try pushing it in a little; make sure it's as far in as it will go.

mtth182
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Alec1382 wrote:I imagine the ribbon cable has just been dislodged from its connector. Try pushing it in a little; make sure it's as far in as it will go.

Tried it - that's what I Thought what was originally wrong, so I took it out, then re-attached it (What a pain in the ass)

I noticed a slight crease in it, but not a major bend.

I didn't remove it out of the board though, that felt like it was glued in or something, wouldn't budge when I tried to disconnect it.

mtth182
shadow

Post#7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Ugh nvm - just checked the slight crease, small crack on the right hand side - looks like I found the culprit

ANychance I can get a generic one of these at some computer store (i.e. Fry's) and not have to pay the 15$ for one on eBay?
Thanks guys

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#8 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:34 am

Can't help you there buddy. But at least now you know what the problem is... ;)

Worst solution:

Solder thin wires to the contact points and secure them with either hotglue or superglue. Just make sure the wires are long enough, bend at a good angle, and you wait 24 hours after applying the superglue. No need to wait that long with hotglue...

Like I said, worst solution. But a possibility nonetheless... :mrgreen:
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)