Sega CD + 32X Issue

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Alec1382
Vagabond

Sega CD + 32X Issue

Post#1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Hey guys. I'm having a strange issue with my Sega CD. I've got a Model 2 SCD, Model 2 Genny, and 32X all hooked up at once. The Sega CD works fine on its own, but it doesn't seem to like my 32X and has some strange video issues when both are connected. The graphics are jumbled and some things are misplaced; a lot like when you turn your NES on and the cart is too dirty, like this:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2nvb0k3.png

It's like that even on the startup screen, so it can't be a disc read error. Not only that, but some games even crash during loading screens. I doubt it's a connection issue. I cleaned the extension pins on the Genesis, and the 32X is basically new. I even checked the problematic ribbon cables inside the 32X. They were so tight I couldn't even get them out of the connectors. I'm also sure I've got everything hooked up correctly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Re: Sega CD + 32X Issue

Post#2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 am

I've heard of audio problems related to the 32x, but nothing that might distort the game if it is actually being displayed.

I would first consider checking the region that each device is supposed to be from.

Which game are you attempting to play with the 32x + cd unit combo? Is it a 32x cart or a CD game or a 32x+cd game? Are you also using the extra ram memory cart?
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 am

Actually, I got this issue figured out a little while ago. Turned out to be the Genny itself. It's always the one you least expect, isn't it? I tested it with a model 1 and it worked fine. I just have to find a replacement. Thanks for the help though.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 am

the 32x is well known for this mate, I had similar problems, its very flakey, I had to constantly readjust its position to get a good picture. Check out my vids on youtube about my 32x escapades... I had to take it apart and clean it to make it work properly but it did, eventually!! There is a video on Youtube of someone taking it apart and repairing it, you should check those out.

Do you have the correct connector cables and av cables etc?

Let me know how you get on, I'll be interested to see if you can get it working
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#5 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:37 pm

This thread is pretty old. Check my previous post. :P

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm

lol fair enough, doesn't hurt to take the 32x apart though, I have a gen 1 md as well and my 32x had really dirty contact plates, I clean them with Metal Contact cleaner and took the thing apart, now it works perfect.

Hang on!! When you use the 32x on the genesis mark 1 do you get sound? How do you setup the connection to the tv? When I send the picture to the tv it goes from the 32x and the sound doesn't work, I have to send the sound via the front headphone jack, which is REALLY frustrating!!

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Nah, my 32X is in really good condition. It has no functionality issues at all.

Yeah, I do. For some reason, my 32X AV cable only has video and left audio, no right audio. So, I get the right audio from my SCD.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

ok so your cable that comes out of the back of your 32x does send sound to your tv, right? See mine doesn't send ANY sound to the tv, at all, I have to send the sound via the front, but I might try the plugs on the back of the Sega CD.

Glad your 32x is working bud, I'll let you know if I get sound via the Sega CD