Help with dreamcast not reading discs

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dodge2461
undertow

Re: Help with dreamcast not reading discs

Post#11 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 am

CD AGES wrote:It may be salvageable (this happened to me and i got it to work with some diligence and determination). Can you take pictures of the unit? specifically underneath the console where the silver manufacturing sticker is placed(i wanna see what kind of model you purchased)?

I don't really have a good camera, but I did get down the number :
HTK-3020

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 am

Doesn't help much. This is what helps: There is a circled single digit number located on the lower right corner of the silver sticker that's underneath your system. You will see a 0,1 or 2. Which is it that you see on your console?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dodge2461
undertow

Post#13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 am

CD AGES wrote:Doesn't help much. This is what helps: There is a circled single digit number located on the lower right corner of the silver sticker that's underneath your system. You will see a 0,1 or 2. Which is it that you see on your console?

OK. I found the number. It's a 2. I think I might open the device and move the laser assembly and report back with(hopefully) good results!(Also to answer your question, I bought the Console in a realgame store. They were gonna start as just classics, but then moved to new ones. THey have had this since openning back a few years back.)

dodge2461
undertow

Post#14 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 am

dodge2461 wrote:
CD AGES wrote:Doesn't help much. This is what helps: There is a circled single digit number located on the lower right corner of the silver sticker that's underneath your system. You will see a 0,1 or 2. Which is it that you see on your console?

OK. I found the number. It's a 2. I think I might open the device and move the laser assembly and report back with(hopefully) good results!(Also to answer your question, I bought the Console in a realgame store. They were gonna start as just classics, but then moved to new ones. THey have had this since openning back a few years back.)

OK, I moved the laser assembly and currently have no results! I did notice one thing, though; when you push the lever on the dreamcast( to make it think the disc case is closed) with no disc inserted, should you see the red laser? I'm just asking because I didn't see a red light( I'm not that big in console/DVD repair)?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

If you mean the red light coming directly from the laser lens... please do not look look directly at the lens!!! Not a good idea! By any chance, does the GD lens head moves up and down on the GD drive" if you can take the lens head and gently guide it with you finger away from the center of the GD disc holding module (remember do this without ever coming into contact with the actual lens). Afterwards, insert a disc and turn on your console while gently pressing down on the lever that makes the DC think the tray lid is closed...
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news