Help with dreamcast not reading discs

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dodge2461
undertow

Help with dreamcast not reading discs

Post#1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:44 am

Hello. So today, I bought a sega dreamcast( brand new in the box). It stemmed to be working, I just noticed that games were taking long time to loaf( about two minutes). It just got worse. Pretty soon it wouldn't read anything( music or genuine dc discs). Can some help me? My mom is gonba kill me if she finds out( she didn't want me to buy the game I. The first place) also, if I do open it, what's the chance of it getting fixed? And are there little clips that would brake and show evidence and void my warrenty( at the store)?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Help with dreamcast not reading discs

Post#2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

It may be salvageable (this happened to me and i got it to work with some diligence and determination). Can you take pictures of the unit? specifically underneath the console where the silver manufacturing sticker is placed(i wanna see what kind of model you purchased)?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 am

There's nothing to show that you've opened up your Dreamcast, provided you don't damage it. If you bought your unit brand new, chances are it was one of the crappy and unreliable Rev. 2's.

Either way, there's an easy fix. You can simply adjust the potentiometer on the laser to give it more voltage. This is much easier than it sounds. It's literally as simple as turning a screw. If you're willing to give it a shot, check out this guide. http://retro-hack.blogspot.ca/2010/06/sega-dreamcast-laser-calibration-guide.html

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 am

Why would he have to adjust the lasers voltage? The unit is brand new! I bet dollars to donuts that the issue lies in the laser assembly simply not moving whatsoever due to how long this console has been in confinment without any use... its just stuck in its stationary placement. This is exactly what happened when I recently obtained a brand new Smash Pack DC console bundle recently. It wouldn't work at all and after some close observation I notice that the laser assembly was simply not moving on the GD Drive (there was basically no sound to compliment the laser assembly moving back and forth after Inserting a disc, it just sounded stuck) so opended the unit and manually moved the assmebly head a few times and after a few tries it was working perfectly! And yes, I was dealing with a model 2 unit (which is the reason I asked this fellah to take pic underneath the console where all the info can be found with regards model of the unit).

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

Are you sure that your console was brand new?:)
was it sealed and stuff? The unit itself should have plastic wrapping around itself! The same goes for all the wires and controller!
PSO Dreamcast: Felix (FOnewearl Lv 115)

Dreamcast Pal (bought brand new last year), BBA, VGA adapter with HDMI converter (720p), Sd card with 32 gb memory and retail PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2
-Does it get any better for a Dreamcaster:D?

rooster
photon blast

Post#6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 pm

If it's under a warranty at the store, then don't bother trying to fix it yourself, just bring it back! It isn't your fault so don't worry about it.

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:30 pm

CD AGES wrote:Why would he have to adjust the lasers voltage? The unit is brand new! I bet dollars to donuts that the issue lies in the laser assembly simply not moving whatsoever due to how long this console has been in confinment without any use... its just stuck in its stationary placement.

Never thought of that. But, my first Dreamcast was a brand new model 2, and for me, the laser turned out to be burnt out. No idea why; the system was definitely sealed. Not only that, but it wouldn't read certain discs just for the sake of it! I'm not talking about the defective launch titles either. Anyway, what you're suggesting is entirely possible. I recommend the OP try what you suggest before making any adjustments to the laser.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Rooster: while its def not outta the question... its possible he made this purchase online. Hope I'm wrong though, it would be awesome knowing some brick n mortar store had a new DC for sale :D

If he actually did buy this at an actual store, it's doubtful he'll get his cash back or an exchange. The likely scenario is that he'll receive store credit! :?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Never thought of that. But, my first Dreamcast was a brand new model 2, and for me, the laser turned out to be burnt out. No idea why; the system was definitely sealed. Not only that, but it wouldn't read certain discs just for the sake of it! I'm not talking about the defective launch titles either. Anyway, what you're suggesting is entirely possible. I recommend the OP try what you suggest before making any adjustments to the laser.

Great! Yeah there is less of a chance to further damage the unit if he takes my advice before he tries yours. But definately, if my advice yields no positive results, tweaking the lasers voltage is perhaps the next pomising step to take.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm

And are there little clips that would brake and show evidence and void my warrenty( at the store)?

This is a great question from the OP that I failed to see earlier. The answer is a def NO! There is really no way to tell if the console was ever opened up! There are no tabs to remove to gain access to the screws and no void sticker to peel off. The system is simply a breeze to open up! Don't be afraid if that is your concern... I'm an idiot when it comes down to electronics and disassembly, but the DC is a piece of cake ;)