Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MY5T
noob

Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Post#1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 am

Hey all!

Just a quick shout-out for some advice: I just got my first Dreamcast yesterday (NTSC-US Launch Model, living in Ireland so I have a stepdown transformer, etc. to make it work over here in Europe) and so far, my CD-R backups/burning experiences have been simple. All games I've tried work fine, however - one exception: Sonic Adventure.

I've tried burning the image multiple times, and yes it is self-booting - but my DC just refuses to start it up. I've tried booting it with Utopia just to try that out and still not an ounce of life from SA.

I've also tried downloading different images (self-booting/non self-booting) and burning them, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
~MY5T
Sonic: Velocity Development Thread --> http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11461

nnorton44
Doom

Re: Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Post#2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 am

What program are you using to burn the image files? What format is the Sonic disk image?

I would recommend downloading a CDI image of the game, and using DiscJuggler 4.6 to burn it. Make sure to set it to Mode 2 and check the RAW Write box. Burn at a low speed (4X), and make sure the image has 2 or more sessions, DJ will tell you if it does or not. I have burned countless CDs with this method and not one has failed to boot.

MY5T
noob

Post#3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Well I'm using DJ too, and it's worked for every image I've tried to burn - but not SA.

The image in question has 2 sessions and I always with the very same settings you have mentioned.

Here's a screenshot of what DJ shows upon selecting the image - in case it helps somehow:

Sonic: Velocity Development Thread --> http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11461

nnorton44
Doom

Post#4 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah everything there looks good, maybe you should try another source for the disk image. Mine works great, it is "DA1M0N_SA1" instead of your "SONIC_KAL_7777". There are few websites you can get it from.

OR

Just buy the game :mrgreen: Backups are nice but its worth it to have the case, artwork, pamphlet, etc.... 8-)

MY5T
noob

Post#5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Hmm, I've tried various images, but I'll see if I can locate that DA1M0N_SA1 build somewhere. :)

Oh I intend to buy the retail version soon, don't worry! :p I've only got my new Dreamcast yesterday, and I'm just eager to get playing it pronto that's all. xD

rooster
photon blast

Post#6 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:19 pm

The problem I see in that picture is, you have the burn speed set to max. Anything over 16X and you might get a coaster - even if the program says "burn successful".

Besides that, the image is a Kalisto release, which is old.. I try to avoid the KAL/ECH releases. Try a DCres/RDC if you can find one.

Also, I recommend tryng Alcohol 120.. simpler than DJ and I've had a 97-98% success rate with it. (Raw Dao, enable Overburn, no other settings needed)

Honestly though, I think SA is one of the games most worth having as a retail disc.. there is no perfect rip of the game.

MY5T
noob

Post#7 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Oh I know about the write speed - I just took that screenshot quickly to show what would be on screen on my end - although I always pick the lowest speed I can when burning console ISO's.

Hmm, alrighty I'll try and find something other than Kalisto in that case. :)

And rest assured - buying Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 retail is a mission of mine too!

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Write speed never affected me and i always burn at the max ( > 42x)

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#9 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Write speed never affected me and i always burn at the max ( > 42x)

What I've heard is that a higher write speed makes the Dreamcast take longer to read the disc, and therefore, deteriorates the laser more quickly. I'm not completely sure if that's true though, so don't quote me on it (no pun intended).

nnorton44
Doom

Post#10 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Alec1382 wrote:
K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Write speed never affected me and i always burn at the max ( > 42x)

What I've heard is that a higher write speed makes the Dreamcast take longer to read the disc, and therefore, deteriorates the laser more quickly. I'm not completely sure if that's true though, so don't quote me on it (no pun intended).

Yeah I have heard that too, do not know if there is any truth to it but I burn at 4X regardless.