Help! Sonic Adventure Disc Read Errors

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

c0nf1n3d
noob

Help! Sonic Adventure Disc Read Errors

Post#1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:10 am

Hello everyone!

I'm obviously new to these forums/this website, but I've been a proud owner of the Dreamcast since its release back in 1999, and love it to this day!

I own a copy of Sonic Adventure (the "SEGA All Stars" version), and the day came where it just wouldn't play right anymore (there were A LOT of scratches on it), so i invested in a new copy via eBay!

The first copy I received was in perfect condition, and didn't work on my system. I tried cleaning methods (from various websites including this one), and trying the same game on another system of a friend's, and it still didn't work.

That being said, I recently bought ANOTHER copy of the game that in the eBay description: "is guaranteed to work." This copy won't read either...and it's in pretty good condition.

Before I make an effort to contact the seller about a return, I figure I'd let you all take a stab at pinpointing the problem. The version of the Adventure game (both ones I ordered) are NOT the "SEGA All Stars" version. They are the original release of the game.

Is it because my Dreamcast might be a later model and won't read earlier games? Is it because the discs are faulty release discs? Is it because my Dreamcast/my friend's Dreamcast might be broken (though they play every other game just fine)?

Any help would be incredible. Thank you all so much for your time! :)

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Help! Sonic Adventure Disc Read Errors

Post#2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:21 am

The very first batch of (the US version) Sonic Adventure got a faulty pressing. So if your discs are in good condition, you might have accidently bought two faulty copy's.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 am

Wombat hit it on the money. If disc looks prestine yet it doesn't work, it usually a result of faulty media. This was a major issue with DC launch titles. This is why I advise you get All stars version or Hot New (midways version) to avoid this issue.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

c0nf1n3d
noob

Post#4 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks everyone. But why would a used copy of the game have a few scratches and be noted as "guaranteed to work?" I found that one a bit odd in particular. Granted, the seller could've just written that for selling sake, but it's just a bit strange that's all.

craziestrufis
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:49 pm

c0nf1n3d wrote:Thanks everyone. But why would a used copy of the game have a few scratches and be noted as "guaranteed to work?" I found that one a bit odd in particular. Granted, the seller could've just written that for selling sake, but it's just a bit strange that's all.

just burn a copy ;)

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Do other games work properly on the system? I'm just wondering if your laser is starting to die :(

c0nf1n3d
noob

Post#7 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

BrianC wrote:Do other games work properly on the system? I'm just wondering if your laser is starting to die :(

Yeah, most do actually! Some are definitely older and pretty scratched...so some music tracks won't play. I think I have one game though that seems to be in good condition that plays just 'okay.' As in, you can basically play half of the multiplayer aspect of the game (the game is Sonic Shuffle). Otherwise, it works just fine.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:28 am

Hmmm, most discs that are pressed professionally can take a lot of damage before they have issues. You very well might have a problem with the disc reader since they burn out very frequently (somehow I've gotten lucky using mine heavily over the past 7 years or so without any issues!) so if you know anyone who has another Dreamcast you might want to check just in case. At least that way you know for sure before buying another SA disc. Also, you could always (if the Dreamcast isn't the issue) go on craigslist and probably find someone selling it since its quite popular and then have them show you on their system that it works before you pay.

c0nf1n3d
noob

Post#9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 am

BrianC wrote:Hmmm, most discs that are pressed professionally can take a lot of damage before they have issues. You very well might have a problem with the disc reader since they burn out very frequently (somehow I've gotten lucky using mine heavily over the past 7 years or so without any issues!) so if you know anyone who has another Dreamcast you might want to check just in case. At least that way you know for sure before buying another SA disc. Also, you could always (if the Dreamcast isn't the issue) go on craigslist and probably find someone selling it since its quite popular and then have them show you on their system that it works before you pay.

I dunno though. I tried the game on a friend's system (the first one I ordered online), and it didn't work on his either. The one I just got had no success either.

I'd craigslist it, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to the style of Sonic Adventure I want. You see, I'm a pretty avid Sonic collector (no lie), and while I have the All Stars version (that kinda works), I was hoping to obtain a non-all stars version that works.

Either way, my Dreamcast seems to be playing pretty well! It runs my Phantasy Star Online (and 2.0) just fine, as well as a few others. Some won't work (such as Fur Fighters...anyone remember that game?), but otherwise it plays like a charm. Maybe it's a manufacturing problem with my system? I'm still not sure.