Alone In The Dark issues appleanty, please help!

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Alone In The Dark issues appleanty, please help!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm

My cousin just bought Alone in The Dark: New Nightmare, on DC and we decided to try it out. It took a while for the game to boot up as it was always freezing up on the Dreamcast logo (it wouldn't even go to the OS screen). At after playing other games and then trying it out once more it finally worked. The issue now is that the games audio crackles all over during the opening intro! Has anyone who owns this game had this issue before!? Oh! And the disc is in mint condition and we are playing via VGA setup. Thanks and advance...
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Alone In The Dark issues appleanty, please help!

Post#2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 am

Shit, it's quite a few years since I played it but I distinctly remember the crackling audio in the intro movie so I'm assuming that's normal.

As regards the non-loading, hopefully that won't happen again as, with the game being mint, it suggests the disc could be faulty or your DC is showing the early signs of having some sort of problem.

Btw, I think AITD is a really good game. The graphics are beautifully rendered with gorgeous detail and fantastic lighting. It's all very atmospheric and pretty creepy with some bits scaring the living shit out of me !! lol. Turn the lights down and turn up the volume for maximum effect ;)

I did find some of the puzzles a touch obscure and fairly difficult so had to consult my Prima Guide a few times to finish it. That could be because I'm a bit dumb though !! lol

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Ok so the awful crackling noise during the intro FMV is normal then? It's just to hard to ignore especially considering I want to play this game in high volume! I wonder why it came out like that?

Hate to sound like a megalomaniac but I cannot be my DC(s). Tested it out on 3 different consoles and the result was the same. It wasn't until after I tried the game onece more after after playing another DC game did it start to work..

Oh I agree completely. It's one beautiful game, hands down! I just still enjoy playing RE CV ;)

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Right then, I just put the game on and, yes, the audio is crackling throughout the opening vid. Some small amount in the office and then much more when they're in the plane. Why ? I have no idea ! Was it badly recorded in the first place (I'm assuming you have an NTSC copy, mine being PAL) or is it a manufacturing problem ? And how did I remember that crackling after more than eleven years :? I told you this game is spooky :shock:

Whatever, it seems that your non-loading disc is a separate and unrelated issue - probably just a pure coincidence.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Yes, US version is the one my cousin obtained. Yes the audio distortion does get worse in the plane segment! (A shame considering the CG intro looks so visually amazing!). It sounds like it was badly recorded audio (who knows really). Thank you so much for confirming this issue Neohound! Its greatly appreciated for taking the time :D

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm

No wucking furries, as they say in Australia :D