Dreamcast Live Game Suggestion Thread

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast Live Game Suggestion Thread

Post#41 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 am

Lol! Well all these factors have pretty decent remedies, should you take proper action. Here's the way I see it, if you don't have human opponents to clash with, go search for them yourself at arcades, like I do :) Here's the way I see it. The DC, regardless of it's age is still a very relevant system due it's amazing software grounded by arcade roots. Games like Powerstone2, 3rd Strike, CVS2, KOF 02, Garou, and even MVC 2 (MVC 3 has no arcade counterpart so it's predecessor is still relevant) still have a home in many arcades where these titles still bring an audience. Use the DC as your training dojo, do your research for any particular titles you have an interest to learn to play (check my vids for high level play ;D) and level up your game thru competition. That's what I've been doin ever since buying my own DC. I do have friends who are DC fans and play these titles... they just refuse to play me ;)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#42 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 am

ok... question, how old are you? not sure about you but if I, a 29 year old man who is engaged and most of his social circle is tied down either with Marriage, children or both, were to wander into an arcade, on my own, and start randomly talking to strange gamers on the off chance that they might like to come home with me to play on my Dreamcast, I would run the risk of the following:

Being seen as a kiddie fiddler and prosecuted as such
being beaten into a pulp by all the rude boys and scumbags that tend to frequent the arcade
it probably wouldn't go down very well with my fiance

it might be alright for you in your country being younger and maybe its more socially acceptable to befriend young people in an arcade but for me, in the UK its both A:

Hazardous to your health; because the majority of youths in arcades in the UK don't go to actually play good games they go to cause trouble and generally be little shits and don't care about the games and have less knowledge about video gaming and console than I do in my left testicle

and B:
Frowned upon socially; I would probably be seen to either be crazy, pathetic or just a paedophile if I started offering to let people come home and play with my consoles

anyway, in sumation, I won't be going to an arcade to find gaming friends! I have a friend who enjoys playing on the Dreamcast with me but doubt I will ever get the chance to play on a game like MVC when I have about 500 other games and a good deal of those have either online MP or CO-OP and he lives in Leeds so he comes to my house maybe once a year.

I know I'm probably being grossly stereotypical of the youth of the UK today but, lets face it, the vast majority of the little shits are exactly that! sad fact of life but unfortunately very much a reality. and I highly doubt I would run into any self respecting adult aged video game nuts who aren't completely insane or afflicted with some kind of mental issue in the UK, the odds are definitely against it lol

thanks though ;)
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#43 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 am

oh and one other thing, the arcades in the UK are pretty shit in terms of diverse arcade beat em ups and you will see pretty much the same light gun, dance mat, driving games and grabber machines in 99% of them, theres probably 5 arcades in the UK that have decent games and none of them are even remotely close to where I live

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#44 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm 27... and I'm not telling you stirke any sort of a conversation with a kid or teen. And I'm not telling you to befriend a certain individual in the hopes of having them go to your estate to play DC. That's the reason why you go to arcades lol! To play games THERE. When I go to the arcade, my mission is simple... kill or be killed in fighting games like 3S or CVS2. My DC gets playtime consistently to hone my skills at home and take what I learned out into the field (aka: The arcade) thus these fighting games on DC stay viable and fresh due to the competitive nature. It was just a thought. I personally am very passionate about the arcade industry (which is why I luv DC), so I do my very best to support any business near my area.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#45 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 am

well unluckilly for me there is only 1 arcade within 10 miles of me here and there are no good fighting games, certainly none dating back as far as Dreamcast days. The arcades in the UK are always very much up to date and will only normally have 1 or 2 classic games from a while ago, arcades are treated very differently in the UK. No one like us really hangs out in UK arcades because they are just full of dance games, sport games or those ones where you sit in a seat or ride a pretend bike lol. The arcades over here are crap.

Anyway my post was meant to be moderately comical not serious, but the situation is pretty much as I explained, it just doesn't happen the way you see it over here. I'd have to know someone already who is interested in playing DC fighting games, most of my mates will just want to crack on COD or FIFA for example

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#46 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Fair enough.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#47 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 am

DCUltrapro wrote:oh and one other thing, the arcades in the UK are pretty shit in terms of diverse arcade beat em ups and you will see pretty much the same light gun, dance mat, driving games and grabber machines in 99% of them, theres probably 5 arcades in the UK that have decent games and none of them are even remotely close to where I live

consider yourself lucky, in the 80,s it used to be arcade paradise here (one at every corner sort of speak). now I haven't seen a single one for over a decade. exept those that are filled with gambling machines
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#48 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am

Exactly Maz! the only ones you see in normal towns in the UK are ones with Fruit Machines, slot machines, grabber machines and very social games. They might have the LATEST fighting game in one section, but its probably either a tekken or soul calibur, which is fine but they aren't really DC games anymore! Oh and another old staple over here is the time crysis style games.

I personally miss the single arcade machine in my old fish and chip shop, you could stand there playing away while waiting for your food, it was an old side scrolling shooter, can't for the life of me remember which one though :(

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#49 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:00 am

@CD AGES, my nearest arcade is twenty miles away but it does have F355 and Sega Rally though no DC fighting games. Mind you I'm a button bashing novice when it comes to fighting games so it's probably best that I don't try and hustle anywhere near them !.

DCUltrapro, you paint a sorry picture of the nations youth ! :lol: I do find a lot of arcades in this country are run down and seedy places - more like the places you pick up a prostitute rather than a Dreamcast buddie :?

I used to have people over to play linked up F355 and VOOT plus the odd game of Tony Hawks but the sad reality now is that most folks I know just arent interested in playing on a fourteen year old console anymore. To be honest not many of my friends have been or ever will be interested in games.

I now rely on my son or partner to provide me with a DC playing partners. It's weird.......they don't have any preconceived ideas about the Dreamcast so don't see it as outdated, just great fun. My girlfriend thinks I'm a bit eccentric because of my DC obsession but she's still pretty supportive and doesn't moan about it much.

If I win the Lottery then maybe I'd consider opening a DC exclusive arcade/museum in my town. That'd be pretty neat.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#50 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:19 am

lol, I think that's the way forward, personally I want to buy a house with 4 bedrooms, 1 for the wife and I (we get married in May 2012!) 1 for each of our two kids (assuming we have 2) and 1 for my "Study" which will infact be my nerd shrine (am I a nerd or geek?) where I will have my PC for people to work on, my video games on display in a nice wall to wall shelfing system and all my sega consoles hooked up. The DC, 360 and Wii will be in the front room so the rest would be hooked up to 1 tv in the spare room.

Its sad but true, mostly arcardes are full of antisocial characters who only go there to cause trouble and vandalise because they can't get into pubs yet

I think I will just have to wait 15 years for us to have a son, I'll make sure I get him into video games pretty early lol