VGA- HDMI converter

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Re: VGA- HDMI converter

Post#11 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16 pm

brourke228 wrote:It is odd that your tv doesn't work properly Dreamcast signal converted to hdmi. It should still work, I was just saying you'd be better off with a vga to component converter. Have you tried this with any other displays?

I think its odd to!
Im not good with electronics i think, but i belive that somehow the PC is normaly higher scaled so the box dont have to do anything!
The dreamcast on the other hand has so low res. that the input signal to the HDMI box is to low!
Obviosly is cant upscale the low DC res and thats why the tv wont accept it!
(this is just my theory of whats happening, I bet all of you have more knowledge then me to answer this)
PSO Dreamcast: Felix (FOnewearl Lv 115)

Dreamcast Pal (bought brand new last year), BBA, VGA adapter with HDMI converter (720p), Sd card with 32 gb memory and retail PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2
-Does it get any better for a Dreamcaster:D?

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Post#12 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm

No, I have no tried on other monitors yet! I will give you guys an update when i have done it:)

Dreamcast Pal (bought brand new last year), BBA, VGA adapter with HDMI converter (720p), Sd card with 32 gb memory and retail PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

brourke228 wrote:It is odd that your tv doesn't work properly Dreamcast signal converted to hdmi. It should still work, I was just saying you'd be better off with a vga to component converter. Have you tried this with any other displays?

It has been known that some HDTVs have a hard time with certain signals because of how the firmware interprets the signal, This results in the TV not knowing what to do with the signal and not displaying a picture. its almost the same deal when using a converter box, when it sees a signal that it dont know how to interpret (which i think might be the case here). Each brand and sometimes model handles the signal differentially due to how the firmware/software was written, Sometimes you can hound the manufacturer enough if you know what the issue is to where they issue a software upgrade fixing the issue (that is if the TV has a USB port or ethernet port to receive software updates). Heck there has been a few HDTVs that didnt work with HDMI from a PS3 or 360.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#14 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Sorry about the dbl post, i hit the PS3s browsers text limit.

The best way to confirm that it is the converter box is to try it on a few diffrent HDTVs, if it works on any one of them then its not the box but a issue with the HDTVs firmware/software. if it doesnt work on any of the TVs you try it on then it is a issue with the box, and since most of these boxes have no way to update its firmware/software the only way to update is to buy a diffrent box.
Scandinavian wrote:No, I have no tried on other monitors yet! I will give you guys an update when i have done it:)

Just make sure that you are not testing on the same brand of TV (if its a issue with the TV it could effect more models from the same manufacturer). Try brands like SONY, Samsung, VIZIO, LG or other brand.

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Post#15 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am

)[/quote]
Just make sure that you are not testing on the same brand of TV (if its a issue with the TV it could effect more models from the same manufacturer). Try brands like SONY, Samsung, VIZIO, LG or other brand.[/quote]

Yup, I will do that! I will keep you posted!

Pannys are known for having allot of issues with converters, maybe that is the reason!
But once again, the box did convert VGA-HDMI from the pc.
I think that i have to adjust the res on the Dreamcast to get it working, and that is not possible as far as I know:)

Anyway, i will take the crap to a friend and I can check if it works!:)

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#16 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Scandinavian wrote:Thanks for all the answers guys:)I guess I have to buy a VGA-Component converter instead and then adjust it to 720 like koralik did!
Adam was happy with 720p, i for one wasn't.i own the exact same converter as he does and i think 1080i looks far better on my set. my box supports 480p, 720p, 1080i/p. once you get the signal converted to your tv you will want to see what resolution looks the best on your tv.

on a side note i agree that this is a digital/analog issue. that converter box that you bought might not convert the analog signal to digital, though it seems like a no brainer to add that feature to a converter box that is meant to convert analog signals to a newer digital only format.

Neohound wrote:There is absolutely no point in putting the signal through the converter anyway ;)

Going from the Dreamcast/VGA box into the pc/vga input of your tv will give you the best and purest picture without any unnecessary processing.
you would be surprised at just how few televisions were manufactured with a VGA input here. my tv has a few component inputs and a DVI input, bot no VGA. i chose to convert my Dreamcast's signal to component because i have more component inputs.

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Post#17 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:49 pm

But do you actually see so much difference? In Shenmue then the graphic got much better, but stuff in the background got much worse (sky, clouds etc)

And one more thing! When i converted the signal to VGA then i hoped i would get rid of the edges moving:)? The edges on objects like the roofs and railings moves, i dont know how to explain, but i guess everyone of you who have Shenmue know what i mean!

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#18 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Scandinavian wrote:And one more thing! When i converted the signal to VGA then i hoped i would get rid of the edges moving:)? The edges on objects like the roofs and railings moves, i dont know how to explain,

Your talking about the jaggies http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggies . If you are then a Dreamcast Anti-aliasingworks best when on a standard def TV then on a PC monitor or HDTV due to their clarity defeating the Dreamcasts Anti-aliasing (Its still dealing with low screen resolutions, the lower the resolution the easier it is to see jaggies even with Anti-aliasing). when you run these games on a higher res (VGA box) you will see much more then what you do when running on a SDTV and this includes graphic artefacts. Its a trade off really. To understand what i am talking about read http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html, granted this is for PC but the same thing still applies. Say a game running at 1024x768 would show less jaggies then a game running in 640x480 even if AA 2x is enabled.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#19 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Sorry about the dbl post again

When you use a converter box with the DCs VGA box its not really to gain extra clarity (because the DC with VGA box still outputs 640x480) but to make that signal more compatable with TVs of today, Which will impact the final results of the image if the TV isnt good with displaying the said signal.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#20 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 pm

The upscaling and deinterlacing algorithms present in modern tvs is exceptionally good - better than standalone Faroudja processing units costing thousands of dollars only a few years ago. As long as your tv has the correct inputs ie composite, S-video, rgb scart, component and vga then the tv should be able to show any of those inputs, whether interlaced or not, in 1080p(or 720p if thats your tvs max resolution). You really wouldn't gain anything in quality by having a separate converter box.

Obviously if your tv hasn't got a vga input then you may want to convert a vga signal into component, as Gary_b said.

I'm fairly sure an HDMI cable cannot carry an analogue signal. Though there are DVI interfaces that accept analogue and digital signals - for example, I use a VGA to DVIa lead to connect my Macbook Pro to my projector.