GCN component cable question

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: GCN component cable question

Post#11 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm

I always thought PAL Gamecubes couldn't output component signal. At the moment I use a scart lead, and wondered if anyone knows if I can get an S-Video signal from it(my av amp only has S-Video, no scart input).

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I thought they had component versions of the GC in every region but I don't know that for sure. I do know that only the early models in the U.S. are component ready. There is actually a extra output on the back next to the composite output on the early models. It's silly but you still use the composite cable for audio when running the component cables. The audio outputs are only on the composite cable and the GC component cable is just the red, blue, green video connections. I think they took out the component output on later models to cut cost since no one really bought the component cables.

You can find adapters for whatever connection you want. I don't know how good it is but here is the cheapest scart to s-video I could find in 30 seconds of searching. :mrgreen:

[url]
http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Video ... B004FR7YPS[/url]

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#13 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks for the link but I think I need a 'female' scart plug to S-Video adaptor. Try and find one of those ! lol

I just checked my GC and it seems to have only the one port. I guess that means I have the later version.

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#14 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:32 am

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#15 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES !!

At least I think it is. My cable has the audio left and right phono plug sockets half way down it. You know the ones ? (haven't got my camera here else i'd take a snap). I still think it would work though. Mmmm, I wonder if it's worth it moneywise. I'd have to pay tax and postage on top to get it to the uk. I'm wondering how much a GC S-Video cable would cost.

Anyway, thanks for that, you're a better Googler than me lol

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#16 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

I don't think there are official S-video cables for the GC but the aftermarket ones are pretty cheap over here. That would probably be a lot cheaper of a option then that converter.

If you ever need anything shipped from the U.S. I would be happy to send it to you. I wouldn't charge any extra over the postage for my time since I have a post office about two blocks from my house.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#17 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:36 pm

drunkn ghost wrote:I don't think there are official S-video cables for the GC but the aftermarket ones are pretty cheap over here. That would probably be a lot cheaper of a option then that converter.

If you ever need anything shipped from the U.S. I would be happy to send it to you. I wouldn't charge any extra over the postage for my time since I have a post office about two blocks from my house.

Hey thanks for the advice and the offer. If I need anything I'll get in touch. Cheers.

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#18 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 am

That's a really selfless offer on the proxy!

Hrm, the hdmi box is powered, so I believe you that it works. The passive stuff seems to be the smoke-and-mirrors bullshit. My Marantz upscaler is powered too. It only upscales to component, but it's really clean. I did not take note of whether it was 480i or 480p though. I'll be sure to check the next time I use it. My guess is that 480p would require a native signal.